Chapter Two

On the carriage ride, Annette asked, "Who are you?"

 "My name is Mikael.  I have already told you I am a vampire. What else would you like to know?"

 "If you are a vampire, why would you kill another vampire?"

 "Because I am the vampire who hunts vampires. Perhaps you should tell me about yourself."

 "There is not much to tell," Annette said. "I work in a dressmaking factory. My parents are also-were also factory workers. It was just the three of us. Why would someone kill them?"

 "Because that is how vampires can be."

 When they arrived at the station, the man, Mikael, said, "Wait here. I will get the train tickets."

 Annette sat quietly on a bench, numb with shock and grief. She had absolutely no idea what to make of Mikael. Was he really a vampire, as he continued to claim?

 As they waited for their train, Annette asked, "Where are you taking me?"

 "Somewhere away from Paris. I know a place in the countryside. I was there recently. Once we are there, I can decide what we will do next." 

 The train ride was passed in complete silence. The night's events were still settling in Annette's mind, and Mikael was concentrating on his own thoughts. Both watched silently as the sun rose.

 Nothing would ever be the same for either of them. 

~~~~~~

 "Why are were here? This is just an old farmhouse," Annette said as they approached the building.

 "I suppose it is. I stayed here for a few weeks before I arrived in Paris, training and clearing my mind. Follow me. You can just set your bag down there." 

 It seemed to Annette that Mikael was somewhat awkward around her, as if he were not used to people at all, let alone girls like her.

 "Why did you bring me here?" she asked.

 "If you will be staying with me, I may as well train you. Why don't you go change into something clean? I have to look for something."

 When Annette was changed, Mikael returned with a bucket of water in one hand and a wooden stake in the other. 

 "Wash you face and hands with that." He set down the bucket. "You still look terrible. I cannot blame you, though, given the situation. You see this?" He held up the stake. "You kill a vampire with this by driving it through the vampire's heart." He handed her the stake; she took it warily. "Now, you can use me for practice. Annette, I want you to take that stake and stab me through my chest."

 "What? Are you mad? That will kill you!"

 "Oh, I assure you, that particular stake can't kill me. Do it, Annette. Please do it, and you'll see what I mean."

 Reluctantly, Annette half-heartedly stabbed Mikael in the chest. He let out a groan, and she waited for him to collapse. Instead, he stood straight up and pulled the now-bloody stake from his chest.

 "See?" He triumphantly held the stake up. "Didn't hurt much. Oh, you really still didn't believe I was a vampire, did you? I told you so.

 "That can't be." Annette slowly began to back away. "Vampires aren't real. This can't be real."

 "I am afraid it is very real, Mademoiselle," Mikael said. "Now that you know the truth, you can leave if you-"

 "And go to where? I have nowhere to go now because one of you killed my family!"

 "And if I could have saved your parents, I would have." Mikael sighed. "Why don't you go upstairs for a bit? There's a few beds. Take a rest. You should get some sleep, anyway."

 Annette gladly went upstairs, away from him.

 Mikael washed the blood off his hands and wondered, what was he to do with this girl?

~~~~~~

 Mikael quietly opened the door. Annette was laying on her side, still wide awake, staring at the wall.

 "What do you want?" she asked.

 "At the moment, the only thing I want from you is for you to listen." Mikael sat down on the bed next to her. "I'm going to tell you a story. It's my story. My life."

 "And why would I want to hear your story?"

 "Because you haven't left yet. I know you are curious, Annette. So I am going to tell you my story, and perhaps then you will understand who and what I am."