Chapter Seven

When the Great War came around, it soon took its toll on Europe. With all the fighting taking place on the continent, travelling became much more difficult. After weeks of nighttime movement, the hunters finally docked in Ireland. Annette had been able to convince Mikael that it was a safe place to be, away from the battles on the continent. It took quite a bit of convincing, but Mikael eventually agreed to go. 

 "I never do what other people tell me to do," he said, "But I will make an exception for you, just this once." 

 They arrived in Ireland by boat in the spring of 1915.

 "You said you have been in Ireland before," Annette said as they disembarked from the ship. "Where do you suggest we go?"

 "We can stay in Dublin for now, but it can wait a few days. The full moon is tomorrow night, remember?"

 "Oh. Of course." Truthfully, Annette wished she could forget about the full moon. She hated the pain and agony of always having to transform every full moon night, and then not being able to remember what she had done if the time she was in werewolf form. But every morning after, she always woke up safe in her own bed, so she knew that Mikael always looked after her, that he cared about her well-being, no matter how hard-hearted he acted on the outside.

~~~~~

 Annette woke up in her bed at the inn. She was in her nightgown, tucked under the blankets, and the sun was rising. Mikael sat by the window, still in yesterday's clothes. The top of his shirt was unbuttoned, and there was a nasty bite wound on his neck.

 "Did I do that to you?" she asked. 

 He nodded. "It doesn't hurt much." He tried to stand, but collapsed back into the chair.

 "Really? At least let me help you take care of it."

 "No, it will go away eventually. Just...help me onto the bed, will you? I feel ill."

 Annette wrapped her arm around his shoulders, and held his hand with her other hand. "How long will this last?"

 "It can't be much longer. But I will begin hallucinating soon. You may not wish to stay for it. I am not sure what I will be like."

 "Mikael, I am not leaving you if you are ill."

 "There's nothing you can do to help me, Annette," he said. "I have to...wait it out." He closed his eyes and laid his pillow. "I don't want you to see me like this." 

 "Mikael, I'm not going to let your pride keep me from giving you some kind of comfort. At least let me sit here with you. Mikael?"

 He opened his eyes and turned his head to look at her. "Esther? It's you, isn't it? You look just the same as I remember."

 "Esther?" Annette repeated. "No, Mikael, it's the hallucinations. You're hallucinating. You told me this would happen."

 "Oh, Esther," Mikael smiled, "It's been far too long. I've missed you. I hate that you're gone. I hate the mistakes we made." He reached out and stroked Annette's cheek. "I am so sorry things went so wrong. I know you were sorry for the affair you had, and I know you wanted to make it right."

 "Mikael, please stop this." Annette wrapped his hand in both of hers. "You're imagining things. I'm Annette, not Esther." 

 Mikael closed his eyes again. "Why?" he whispered. "Why did we do it? Why did it all happen? I let my family be destroyed."

 "No, Mikael, it wasn't all your fault."

 "No, no, I ruined everything, ruined everything." He stifled a sob. "Esther's dead. My children are gone. I'm alone."

 "No, you're not." Annette cautiously kissed his cheek. "I'm here, Mikael. I'm going to be here."

~~~~~~

 By the time Mikael woke up, Annette had dressed and gotten breakfast. The sun was now high in the sky.

 "What happened?" he asked. "Did I fall asleep?"

 Annette looked up from her book. "Eventually. Normally, I would do things you ask of me, so long as they weren't too demanding, but I couldn't leave you alone." 

 "So you stayed." Mikael tried to remember what had happened-and couldn't. "What happened? I wasn't too bad, was I?"

 Annette shrugged. "Besides raving about vengeance, I suppose things went well."

 There was no need to tell him about him hallucinating her being his dead wife. He was clearly embarrassed enough that she had seen him in such a state. 

 The incident had shown her what kind of sorrow and grief there really was behind the cold-hearted attitude Mikael always kept. She knew that there was a loving heart underneath the warrior exterior, but he didn't need to know that she knew of it.

~~~~~~

 The next day was the eighth anniversary of her parents' deaths. Every time that day came, it depressed her.

 "Annette, how many years has it been since you and I first met?" Mikael asked as they walked through the marketplace. "It's today, isn't it?"

 "It is. It's been eight years now."

 "Eight years." Mikael repeated. "And how are old are you now? Do forgive me, I meant to keep track, but I forgot to."

 "I am twenty-three."

 He gave her a startled look. "You are that old already? Well, you're certainly not the little factory girl I rescued eight years ago. But, in honor of the occasion of our paths crossing," he plucked a dark pink rose from a florist's booth when no one was looking, "this is for you. Dark pink roses mean gratitude, and I am grateful to you, Annette. Your companionship and friendship seem to have helped me regain some of my sanity. When you are with me, I don't feel lonely anymore, like I used to."

 Annette smiled and looked down at the rose. Mikael had never spoken such words of praise to her before. "Thank you, Mikael. I enjoy your companionship as well, no matter how insufferable you think you are."