Chapter Twelve

Despite the fact that she wasn't particularly fond of him, Annette spent some time chatting with Lucien over the next few days. He actually was an interesting person, she realized.

 "As a human, I was a servant for the Count de Martel," he said as they walked along the grounds. "That was Tristan's father. Aurora and I knew each other as children, and were quite close. As an adult, I was given the job of welcoming guests to the castle. That was how I met the Mikaelsons."

 "They came to the castle?"

 "They murdered the people I was escorting to the castle. I lay hidden and listened to them talk about the possibility of taking the places of the ones they had murdered. When they discovered me, fearing my life I offered to help them pull it off. They took a vote. Elijah and Kol voted to kill me, but Klaus, Rebekah and Finn all voted to let me live."

 "I suppose that was fortunate for you," Annette said.

 "I'd say it was. But I hated the court. They were all rotten, I tell you. I warned the Mikaelsons. I told them to stay away from Aurora and Tristan, for they were just as wicked as their father was."

 "Then why are you friends with Tristan?" Annette asked. 

 Lucien furrowed his brow. "Well, I wouldn't say Tristan and I are friends. More like...mutually suspicious allies. Anyway, I was in love with Aurora. I asked Klaus to give her a letter I had written her. Instead, I found out they were having an affair, and I confronted them on the matter. Of course, Tristan arrived and thought I was the one Aurora was having an affair with. So he did what eh thought suitable: he took me to the dungeons to be tortured.

 "In all fairness, Klaus and Elijah did attempt to save me, but I just ended up a vampire myself. That was how I became the first vampire of Klaus' sire line. As they were all fleeing France to get away from your vengeful master, Elijah compelled Aurora to hate Klaus, and then he compelled her, Tristan, and myself to believe we were Rebekah, Elijah, and Klaus, as a decoy to put Mikael on the wrong track. That was broken after they were all daggered by the Brotherhood-long story, that is-but the point is that since then, we have been planning to get vengeance. Once the year of the prophecy comes, all will be well." He sighed. "But enough of my sad stories. What about you? You're pretty enough to be of noble lineage."

 Annette scoffed. "Noble lineage. I worked in a dressmaking factory for a little over a year. I was fifteen when a vampire murdered my parents. It most likely would have murdered me as well if Mikael had not saved me. I had no other family, and I suppose I could have gone off on my own, but somehow I ended up staying with Mikael. He taught me how to fight, how to defend myself, and how to be a warrior."

 Lucien nodded. "Very impressive. And I suppose you weren't aware you were a werewolf until you started killing?"

 "I wasn't. I was afraid the first night I turned. Mikael locked me in a barn because he knew there wasn't anything he could do to stop me from turning. But I have learned to live with it." She sighed. "The full moon is tomorrow night."

 "Well, it is only one night," said Lucien. "Then after that is the ball, and all should be well. Just think of it that way."

 Annette smiled. "I think you're right. I do wish Mikael would tell me what plans he has for when we leave. In all the years I have travelled with him, he hasn't found any trace of a Klaus Mikaelson. I was beginning to wonder if he even existed until we met another vampire who knew him, but that was seven years ago."

 "I would be careful around him if I were you. He has a horrible reputation. I don't mean to cause any trouble, but with the way he is towards you...I do wonder if he thinks of you as another child. He seems to act in a fatherly way when he's with you. He certainly doesn't like the fact that you're talking to me."

 "You shouldn't take that personally," Annette said, "I don't think he likes anyone." 

 Did Mikael think of her like a daughter, Annette thought. Well, she was the only person he never yelled at or threatened. But whatever he thought, or whatever Lucien thought, she was not a replacement child for the ones who had turned their backs on Mikael. They were friends. That was all.

~~~~~~

 Annette woke up with a horrible headache.

 "Mikael, are you there?" she asked groggily. "Did I turn?"

 "Of course you did." Mikael was pacing across the room. "Be careful. You sprained your wrist and you got a nasty cut on your face. I had to take you away from here, remember? Do you really want to stay for the ball tonight? Can't we just leave?"

 "I don't think I'll feel well enough for the ball." Annette sat up in the bed. "Did I kill anyone?"

 "No, nothing bad happened. God, I hate this place. I asked if breakfast could be brought up, and it should have been here half an hour ago." 

 "Then I think I'll just go wash up and get dressed." 

 Annette heard the door as she was getting dressed. She came back in to see Lucien bringing in a tray.

 "I heard you had a bad night," he said. "This should help. I will see you at the ball tonight, yes?"

 Annette nodded. "I'll be there."

 Lucien smiled at her, but his smile faltered a little when he caught Mikael's eye. When he was gone, Mikael said, "I hate that boy."

 "You hate everyone," Annette pointed out.

 "That if not true. I like you, or else I would have killed you by now. But there's something about him. What has told you about himself?"

 "Hates the nobility," Annette said as she ate. "Has a very unsteady alliance with Tristan. Used to be in love with Aurora. Used to be friends with Klaus. Certainly hates all your children." Annette paused. "Mikael, are you jealous of Lucien?"

 "And why would I be jealous of that boy?" Mikael asked.

 "Because I've been spending time with him and not you, which is what you're used to." Annette looked at him slyly. "You aren't in love with me, are you?"

 Mikael looked startled. "In love? With you? That-that's ridiculous. If I have given you any reason to think-"

 Annette laughed. "I'm joking, Mikael. I don't think you're in love with me: I think you need to make friends."

 "Oh. Yes, of course. I knew what you meant. You should finish your-Annette, your- the cut."

 "What about it?" Annette reached up and felt the side of her face, which felt the way it always did. "It's gone. But it couldn't have healed so quickly."

 "Exactly." Mikael studied the cup she had just drained. "It seems Lucien slipped you vampire blood, and its healing abilities got rid of any injury."

 Annette figured it hadn't been a good idea for Lucien to do it. Mikael had never given her vampire blood to drink. She knew that if she died with vampire blood in her system, she would have no choice but to become a vampire herself or die.

 "You'll have to be careful, Annette," Mikael said. "Perhaps you should just stay in for today, and we are not staying at this accursed party for any longer than an hour. Until the blood is out of your system, you are constantly in danger. You must understand that." 

 Annette nodded. "I understand. I'll be careful, Mikael. You know I will be."

~~~~~~ 

 That afternoon, Annette was introduced to Aya, who would find her something suitable to wear to the ball that night.

 Aya gave Annette different gowns to try on, all of which Annette found to be very uncomfortable. She was used to wearing more simple dresses, and occasionally trousers. After the first few, Aya helped Annette a gown into a beautiful shade of blue with bits of gold. Annette decided she liked it, remembering she would only have to wear it for that night.

 Aya wasn't very talkative. At one point Annette did ask, "How long have you been part of the Strix?"

 "Since its conception," she answered. "I helped Elijah Mikaelson create it."

 "Oh. Is he really that terrible, then? Tristan and Lucien seem to think so."

 Aya sighed. "Elijah is too loyal to his brother. He puts his family's happiness to far above his own. One day it will be his downfall." 

 She helped Annette put her hair up in a neat bun. "There. That looks good. It must be a drastic change after the times you've had."

 Annette smiled at herself in the mirror. "I think Mikael's going to have a seizure when he sees me dressed up like this."

~~~~~~

Annette's gown:

~~~~~~ Annette's gown: