Chapter Thirty-Four

Within twenty-four hours, Mikael was regretting letting Annette go off in search of the Salvatores and leaving him behind with Caroline Forbes.

 From the moment he finished explaining to her, Caroline made it clear that she didn't want or need anyone to keep an eye on her, and that he should just leave. He was actually very tempted to leave and go find Annette, but it was obvious this woman was lonely and could use some company, even if it was a man who was practically a stranger to her.

 Therefore, Annette and Mikael were left to communicate through frequent phone calls and texts. Mikael absolutely loathed it, as modern technology was still a rather foreign thing to him. He didn't have much else to do with his time. He hardly ever stepped foot out of the boardinghouse, due to the fact that this area was his old home, and refused to let himself run into any bad memories, even if there good ones thrown in as well.

 And then there was still the fact of him apparently being part siren. How had never realized he had some sort of mystical psychic powers? Had his parents had any idea the ancestry they had? Did they have mystical psychic powers as well, and just kept him in the dark. No, that wouldn't have made any sense. But thankfully, neither Seline nor Sybil showed up at the boardinghouse. 

 On one evening, when the phone rang, Mikael immediately hit answer and said, "Please tell me you're planning on coming back to Mystic Falls sometime soon. I have been alone all day, with no one to talk to, and I think I'm going to start talking to the walls soon."

 "And this is why I've told you to try having a social life," Annette said in an amused tone. "At least I tried being friends with Stefan and Caroline."

 "I have tried being friends wit her. She doesn't like me." He sighed. "Oh, never mind that. Where are you?"

 "I've been watching Stefan and Damon. They've been travelling together, and are leaving a rather bloody trail behind them. Do you remember the kind, calm Stefan Salvatore we know? He's gone now. That man I saw is a completely different person. Damon, on the other hand, seems to be the arrogant bastard he usually is. Has anything unusual happened on your part?"

 "No, not yet. I don't think Caroline needs anyone to look after her; she's an independent woman. But she could use some company. Are they anywhere near Mystic Falls?"

 "Nearby, yes. I think they might actually be heading back to Mystic Falls. I'm going to keep watching them for now. But honestly, Mikael, I think I'm going to be quitting this soon. They're working for the devil, and there's nothing I can do to change that. Caroline will just have to hope that after a year, Stefan will be ready to come home to her." She paused. "How are you?"

 "Not bad," Mikael answered. "Besides not really having anyone to talk to, I've been fine. When Caroline does finally get home, I think I'll ask her if there's anything I can help her out with."

 "Good. Try to be friends. I promise, I will be back there soon. I love you."

 Mikael smiled. "I love you." 

 When Caroline did get home, Mikael was waiting for her.

 "Caroline," he said, "I was wondering, is there anything you could use some help with? Maybe a problem around the house that needs to be fixed? A vampire you need me to kill?"

 She had been walking away from him as he spoke, but she stopped and turned back around to look at him. "You really mean it when you say you want to help me?"

 Mikael nodded. "I do."

 She smiled. "Great. Then you can help me put together this year's Miss Mystic Falls pageant."

~~~~~~

 When Mikael agreed to stay with Caroline, he thought he would just be making sure she didn't get herself into any trouble, maybe have to kill someone if there were any threats.

 He did not think he would be helping Caroline plan some sissy beauty pageant.

 The entire thing was absolutely ridiculous, he thought. What the point was, he hadn't quite figured out. When Caroline was telling him about it, he found it incredibly boring to follow along with. And Caroline was late to meet him at the Founders' Hall, which just annoyed him even more.

 When Caroline finally did show up with Bonnie Bennett in tow, he asked, "And where exactly have you been?"

 "Busy," Caroline answered, taking the clipboard from him. "Thanks for greeting people for me, Mikael. We can go find Damon once the dance is underway."

 "Or we could just ask him in person," Bonnie said.

 Mikael and Caroline both looked up to see the Salvatore entering the Founders' Hall.

 "What are you doing here," Caroline asked them.

 "Don't worry. I invited them."

 The turned to see Sybil standing by the stairs, her usual devious smile on her face.

 Caroline sighed. "You know what? I don't have time for this. I have a pageant to take care of. Come on, assistant."

 Glad to have something to keep him occupied, Mikael followed Caroline around while watching Sybil and the Salvatores with curiosity. He lost sight of Sybil and Damon, but saw Stefan at the bar getting himself a drink. Bonnie stepped away to encourage Caroline to go over to him, but Mikael stood nearby just in case. After a short argument, Caroline walked away from Stefan, and Mikael walked over.

 "You know, it's a shame you've decided to be like this," he said. "I was starting to think you weren't so bad after all."

 "Well, maybe you were wrong," Stefan said.

 "I think I was. I can see what Niklaus saw you all those years ago." 

~~~~~~

 Mikael stood near Caroline as she announced all of the Hopefuls. He wasn't really listening to what she saying, as he caught sight of an argument between the Salvatore brothers. Damon had a necklace that Stefan took and threw on the floor. 

 After Stefan went out to the dance floor with Sybil, of all people, Mikael went over to Damon and asked, "Where did you get that?"

 "It's Elena's," he said. "Why do you care?"

 "I care because Esther used to have something that looked just like that. And then...I saw it on Rebekah once."

 "Well, Stefan must have gotten it from Rebekah, because he's the one who gave it to Elena."

 "Mikael, can I have a word alone with Damon?" Caroline asked.

 "He's all yours." Mikael stepped back and walked away.

 There was something going on, he thought. Something Caroline had forgotten to mention. But it wasn't anything to with Miss Mystic Falls; it had to be something bigger.

 He stood around, watching the dance until Carline came over and said, "We have to get everyone out of here."

 "Why?" he asked.

 "I'll explain later. Bonnie and Enzo are going to try and get everyone out safely. You just come with me."

 "Hey, everyone. Um, so sorry, but this year's pageant will have to be cut short due to a gas leak in the kitchen," Caroline announced. "So please exit quickly, and get home safely. Thank you all for coming."

 Mikael went inside the building, past the people filing out. He looked up the stairway. He hadn't been up there yet, had he?

 As he started up the stairs, he heard a crash and a bang coming from the upper floor. Hurrying, he found Sybil and Damon unconscious on the floor, and standing over them was Annette.

 "I go away for a little while," she said, "And everything falls into chaos."

 Mikael laughed and shook his head. "You have no idea."

~~~~~~

 It was nighttime now, and it seemed everyone had left the Founders' Hall.

 "What happened that the place turned into a ghost town?" Annette asked.

 "Oh, who knows?" Mikael replied. "Caroline didn't tell me a thing. I don't even know where she's gone off to. I hope she isn't running after Stefan. He and the other one have become quite the nuisance."

 "Oh, I know. Following them around was honestly a little boring, because they were so predictable. I suppose this was the dance floor?" Annette asked as she looked around.

 "It was. It was boring, anyway. I couldn't even pay attention when Caroline told me about it, but I think she was Miss Mystic Falls once. I don't even know what having that title means for a girl."

 "Well, it sounds like this must have been special for Caroline. I'm sorry Stefan and Damon had to show up and ruin things." Annette sighed. "I think I'd like to go back to the boardinghouse. I haven't slept much since I left, and I've been wearing these same clothes since yesterday morning, so I must not smell very good."

 "You seem perfectly fine to me."

 "You're your boyfriend; you have to say that."

 Mikael shrugged. "Not necessarily. A good one would."

 Annette smiled. "I missed you while I was gone. It seems we were both incredibly bored without each other."

 "Well, if Caroline had been a little more open to having an actual conversation with me instead either ignoring me or lecturing me about...this," he gestured to what was the Miss Mystic Falls pageant, "Maybe I wouldn't have minded so much."

 "And maybe if the Salvatores weren't being such arrogant asses, I wouldn't have minded being near them. Actually, let's not think about any of that. I want to go back to the boardinghouse, get washed up, and sleep for a very long time."