Chapter Nine

Finding a captain willing to sail them all the way to the Sweden was difficult. Aurora de Martel finally compelled some sailors to take them there.

 "I meant to avoid compulsion," Mikael said sharply.

 "We need to get there as quickly as possible," Aurora said. "Tristan does not like to be kept waiting."

 What could be so scary about this Tristan?, Annette wondered. For years, she had thought there couldn't be anyone scarier than Mikael. She thought it should the Strix who feared them, not the other way around.

 It took weeks. They sailed from England, through the North Sea, then had to sail through past southern Norway, through the islands that make up part of Denmark, until they finally reached the southern coast of Sweden.  From there, Aurora took them inland to the waiting Teleborg Castle.

 "This is the grand place?" Mikael said. "I have seen better."

 Annette rolled her eyes. "It would make a lovely home."

 Aurora led them inside. "Oh, Tristan! I have what you were looking for!"

 "Do you now?" Coming towards them was a handsome young man with bright blue eyes. "Well done, sister." He clapped his hands. "Take her away, will you?" 

 Two men strode forward and grabbed Aurora firmly by the arms. "But, Tristan, you said you would let me go!"

 "I let you go for this one task," Tristan said coldly, "Because I know how convincing you can be. I said, take her away."

 "Where are you taking her?" Annette asked.

 "Somewhere she will be safe. My sister is very unstable, you see, and must have the proper care." He gave them a bow. "Tristan de Martel, leader of the Strix. You, sir, must be Mikael."

 Mikael nodded. "I am. This my friend and apprentice Annette Chevalier. Now, tell me why you asked us to come to this place before I decide I'm bored."

 "Oh, I doubt you'll find us boring, sir. And miss. I had not heard you'd taken on an apprentice. Certainly not a werewolf."

 "Do you have a problem with Mademoiselle Chevalier's presence?" Mikael asked in the low voice Annette knew he always used when he felt the need to threaten someone.

 Tristan quickly regained himself. "Oh, no. No, of course not. Er, no doubt you've had a long and tiring journey. I am afraid we only have one room prepared at the moment, but you can both rest there for a few hours. Come, I will show you there."

 "I would think you'd have henchmen for that," Mikael retorted.

 "Oh, yes, usually. But you are rather unusual guests, wouldn't you say?"

 They followed Tristan up stairs and down a long corridor.

 "This is the one," he said. "I will have a second one prepared by nightfall." He quickly walked away.

 "What an odd man," Annette said as she walked into the room. The bedroom was rather large, nicely decorated, but nothing extravagant. "I'm tired now." She put down her bag and laid down on the bed. "This is comfortable. Aren't you tired at all?"

 "Not much. I told you I sleep very little. You should sleep as much as you can. I expect someone will be coming to fetch us later." 

 Annette smiled. "I think that's the easiest thing you've ever asked me to do." 

~~~~~~

 Annette could see the sunset as she opened her eyes. She turned onto her left side; Mikael was lying on the bed, staring at the ceiling.

 "What do you make of Tristan de Martel, Annette?" he asked.

 "We have only just met him, so I don't know. I do think he seemed rather strange. What do you think he did with Aurora?"

 "He has her locked up somewhere, I presume. She's clearly a madwoman. I don't know what to make of Tristan yet. He does not seem to be a compassionate sort."

 "Neither are you," Annette pointed out. "Perhaps you'll be friends."

 "Annette, you know perfectly well how terrible I am at friends. You are the only friend I have had for centuries. We are friends, aren't we?"

 Annette sighed. "Mikael, do you really have no idea what a friend is? You remind me of Sherlock Holmes, with the way you are able to tell things about people and your refusal to be more social."

 Mikael scoffed. "Those books you read are ridiculous. I cannot see anything good in these modern novels."

 Or perhaps he would be better as Professor Moriarty, Annette thought. "The sun's gone down now. I suppose I should wash up and prepare for the supper the Strix will be giving us."

 "I thought about that." Mikael sat up. "Annette, there is something I have never told you. You know the vampires and the werewolves often feud with each other. That...is because of me. When I killed Niklaus' father and his family, I started a war. I did not even know it until decades later. I just wanted revenge. I knew Ansel; we lived near each other for years. You could even say we were friends. The thought that he and Esther...it hurt, more than any physical pain ever did. And I now I do not doubt the Strix may make an attempt to harm you."

 If he was going to say anything else, he didn't get the chance. Annette got up to answer the door as soon as she heard a knock. Standing in the hallway was a handsome, dark-haired man with a smirk plastered onto his face.

 "Good evening. You must be Mademoiselle Chevalier." He spoke in perfect French. "Lucien Castle, at your service."

 "Monsieur Castle." He was the other sired vampire Aurora had spoken of. Annette held out her hand for him to shake, but instead he bent down and kissed the top of it.

 "Tristan said the great Destroyer had brought an apprentice with him," he said. "You look to be a proper lady, but considering your upbringing, I believe I am correctly assuming that you have been trained to be more than that." 

 "It is true that in the last eleven years, I have trained Annette to be a warrior." Mikael came to stand next to her. "I suppose you were sent here by Tristan?"

 "I volunteered to escort you to the dining room," Lucien replied, "wanting to meet you both."

 "If you will give us a few moments," Mikael said and slammed the door in Lucien's face. He whispered to Annette, "I don't like him. We should be cautious around these people. If they make any attempt to harm you, tell me at once." 

 Annette nodded. She wasn't naïve; she knew what vampires were capable of.