Against All Odds

Here I am again... being the awful writer that I am... starting another oneshot book...

*Sighs* I enjoy myself, so whatever.

If you guys like, comment and vote, tell me whatcha think. Got suggestions? I'm open to them.

Also, I don't edit my stuff, so there may be words missing here and there or some errors.

Sam couldn't stop listening to it. Over and over, he'd let it play, letting the melody loop in mellifluous cycles. The song annoyed him to no end, but it was the last remnant of a life he wanted back.

"Stop listening to that song!" yelled Dean from the room over.

Except, Sam wasn't going to comply. He was, however, going to sit on his bed, in the same clothes he'd been in for a week, listening ever so close to the words.

It had been a year, today marking the anniversary of such an occasion. Sam had wallowed in his own destruction, his mind shredding him slowly. The road had opened last week, and he knew it wouldn't end until he'd mourned once more.

His door opened and he looked up into the sad eyes of Castiel. "You can't keep this up," he murmured softly, stepping into the room.

Sam snorted. "I have nothing else to do," he snapped, voice hoarse from lack of use. Beside him, the music stopped, and he reached over, keeping eye contact with Cas, and restarting the track.

Cas sighed. "Gabriel always wanted to see you happy, Sam. Not like this. Especially over him."

"I am happy," Sam murmured, his head lolling back. "I'm perfectly fine in here."

Cas shook his head, eyes wide with worry. "You're destroying yourself."

The Winchester grinned. "Good."

All year long, he'd fought himself to stay above the water. The past week, he'd barely kept his nose up to breath. By now, he'd started to drown.

His sanity was slipping, his delusions becoming more prominent and permanent as the hours droned on. Sam's loss was killing him from the inside out, and he didn't want to stop it.

In fact, he revelled in it.

"Please don't do this," Cas begged softly, touching Sam's shoulder. "Please."

His eyes had never left Cas's. Leaning forward, expression stone cold, he whispered, "You don't own me."

Cas drew back slowly, hurt swirling in his ocean gaze. He nodded and left, glancing over his shoulder sadly once before the door closed again.

Sam tsked. "Lest we forget," he drawled. The song repeated.

***

Gold hair flashed in the light as Gabriel appeared outside of the bunker. He sucked in a breath, the first one he'd taken since his death, his sunlight whiskey eyes opening swiftly.

In his mind, he heard his father's words echoing, telling him of his chance. Once the words went silent, a name replaced them, deafening and driving.

Gabe entered the bunker, walking with precision. He sensed Sam's presence like a magnet, a beacon. He followed the hallways, weaving through until he was outside the door he knew to be the Winchester's.

He rested his head against it. A year had passed since he'd died. Who knew what changes had happened to Sam after that time?

Gabe breathed out, calming and preparing himself. He took a step back, just enough to raise his fist, knocking softly.