Chapter 4: Hard Times

Ronny's POV

Before it was time for my alarm to go off, my phone was ringing.

I groaned before answering. "Hello?"

"I'm sorry for calling, but I just needed somebody to talk to."

I sat up in my bed. "What's going on?"

His voice got real heavy. "They saying my mama only got a few more weeks to live."

"What??"

"I knew it was coming, but I didn't expect it to be this soon.. you know? I can't loose her. Neither can my sisters and brother. They already having hard times as it is."

I sighed, not really knowing what to say. "I think you should talk to Candy about this. You know her mama passed from cancer, so she could understand your situation better. But I think you should bring your siblings along with you this Sunday to our church."

It was quiet on Jon's line for a minute. "I'll see, maybe church is something I need."

"I'm not saying it'll make you forget what's going on, but you'll be in better spirits. And you'll... you'll know God is working. But Ima text you Candy's number so you can call her or whatever. You still coming to school today or you taking the day off?"

"I'll come. I don't wanna sit around all day, feeling sorry. I still have to tell them what the doctors said."

"Man I hate hear all that's going on with you."

"I know, my whole life's a nightmare. Thanks for the listening ear, but I'll see you at school."

"Ight, one." I hung up the phone feeling helpless. I hated hearing the struggles Jon has with his family. I also hated the fact that I never knew what to say to make him feel any better.

Wide awake now, I got up and got ready for school.

Since I had time to spare, I fixed myself a BLT. I sat down and ate before going to pick up my baby.

While on the way there, my phone rang with an unknown number.

"Hello?"

"Hey babe."

I looked at the phone before putting it back to my ear.

"Who the fuck is this?"

"It's me, Lexi."

"Lexi who?"

"I know it's been a while, but I miss you."

"You can miss me with the bull. I'm in a relationship."

"And?"

"What you mean 'and'?"

"She doesn't have to know." Lexi said sweetly.

I laughed. "So you don't mind being a th-" I caught myself, "I won't do that to my girl. So lose my number and never hit my line again."

I hung up soon as I pulled up at Candy's. I beeped the horn and waited for her to come out.

She got in and leaned over to give me a kiss.