Chapter 6: Wait

Candace's POV

I headed downstairs as soon as I got dressed.

My dad was sitting at the kitchen table, reading the paper.

"I bet we're the only house on the block still getting the newspaper."

"Well good morning to you too."

I fixed myself a bowl of cereal and sat at the table.

"Oh, Granny made you a lemon cake. You need to go pay her a visit."

"Man, oh man. It's been years since I had one of her famous lemon cakes. I'll go over right after work. How's you and Ronny going?"

I crushed the cereal with my spoon. "We didn't have a fight.. more like a misunderstanding."

"Do I need to go whoop some ass for him to understand?"

"No daddy, we'll probably make up later on today."

"You know I don't like him."

"You used to."

"Yeah, before he had you laying in a hospital bed."

"That's in the past. If I can get over it, so can you."

He shook his head. "Not when you wake up, screaming every night. Don't you need to go to school?"

"I sure do." I got my backpack. "And I'm catching the bus today. Don't forget to go see Granny."

"Alright. Love you princess, have a good day.

"You too." I rushed out the door and joined a few other kids at the bus stop.

Ronny's POV

I parked in my spot and went to chill with the old crew.

"Where's wifey?" Quan asked.

I sighed. "She's mad at me. Told me don't even bother to pick her up this morning."

"Damn, what did you do now?" Jon intervened.

"I just slipped up and said something the wrong way."

"Like what?"

"Ight, so yesterday we was just chillin, right? And so then I tried to make a move on her and she wasn't for it. I said it's okay and then I asked her when Ima get some cause it's been a while."

"No man! If you say it's okay that she don't wanna give it you, then turn around and ask, she thinks you're not okay with."

"Well I'm kinda not. I mean I am- Y'all know how I used to do. How did I go from getting pussy everyday to none at all?"

"Cause you ain't messing with no average chick, pop pop." Quan sang.

"When you settle down with a good Christian virgin, that's how." Jon Jon said. "You used to them hoes who'll bust it wide open."

"With your past record, I wouldn't fuck you either." Quan shrugged.

"You fucking with Tim though."