Chapter 8

The Slave Girl

Chapter 8

(Layla's POV)

A man with blond hair and green eyes wearing big black boots, black jeans, white shirt, and a black leather jacket walked in without a word.

His eyes transfixed on Ian's father.

Ray stared at the man with the same intensity he had when he first saw Ian and I.

Both of they sizing each other up with their eyes.

"Hello Ray." the man says with a certain chilling tone on the name.

"Eric." Ray says with a deadly infenses on the man's name.

The man, Eric, looks at each of us for the first time, his eyes only skimming over us.

But once his eyes land on me they still and recognition covers his features.

His body trembles as he steps closer to me and drops to his knees.

His hands reaching for mine.

Ian growls beside me as Eric's hands move closer to my own.

I move my hands away from his though it only causes his hands to move faster and grab mine in his.

"Saphire. Oh, Saphire, my daughter, you've come back to me!" he whispers under his breathe loud enough for Ian, Ray, and I to only hear.

His hands tighten as I try to get my hands out of his grip, causing bruises to appear.

Ian stands to help me but Ray stops him with a shake of his head and slowly walks to Eric.

"Eric. Eric, Saphire is dead. She died last month. This is Layla, Ian's girl." Ray tells him softly, pulling Eric away gently as to not hurt me more.

"No, no, no. She didn't, she didn't, no. No!" he sobs out as he lets go of my hands and covers his face.

Ray soothes the man as he sobs against his chest.

"Get moving Ian. The soldiers from the King ought to be coming in less than an hour." Ray tells Ian as he looks over the man's shoulder at him.

Ian nods and immediately grabs my hands gently and pulls me up.

"We need to leave, now." Ian tells me, his eyes showing remorse.

I nod, knowing that I might not see my parents again and hating the soldiers for all of this.

I grab my parents in a hug and whisper empty promises to them of return.

After a minute I grab Ian's hand in mine and we leave without word.

"Wait!" Eric yells out the door.

He runs after us and once in front of us he hands Ian a bag of things and a small purse for money.

"I'm sorry for how I reacted you just look similar to her with your eyes." he apologizes before handing over a map to me and leaving.

I look to Ian in the eyes before turning and walking ahead with him behind me.

I watch the trees above us as we head to our future, whatever it may be.