Chapter 17: Deal

Mathew's POV

I made my way to the stable hearing the princess' familiar voice.

"You have to marry him," said a familiar deep voice.

"I know, but I can't. I don't love him Theo, I love you," she said.

It was too late. I was already at the door of the stables in sight of seeing the princess kiss the stable boy.

My jaw fell in shock.

The princess was in love with a commoner.

Theo pulled away with a hurt expression. He cupped her cheek passionately. "I love you too Alana but we can't do this."

Holy cow! 

I couldn't believe my eyes!

I was backing away slowly trying not to let them know I had caught their very intimate moment. I prayed they would not notice me.

My prayers went unanswered as a loud crash sound happened as my foot hit a bucket. I swore under my breath. I dared peak at the princess who was staring at me in horror whereas Theo's face had lost all colour.

"I didn't see anything," I said like an idiot. Damn it again.

For someone who thought he was smart, I sure was stupid.

I turned away and began to rush away embarrassed of what I just witnessed.

"Wait!" I heard the princess call after me but I didn't stop. I wasn't long until I heard horse hooves approaching me. The princess stopped her horse in front of me to prevent me going further. "I thought I told you to wait."

"Well can you blame me, you--"

"Shh..." Alana urged looking pale. "Please, can we speak in private?"

I sighed in defeat and nodded. She motioned for me to climb her horse. I warily climbed on before she rode us to a beautiful grassy field surrounded my trees. We were truly alone now. The sun was beginning to set giving us a wonderful view. I wondered if Clary would like this place.

"You cannot tell anyone what you just saw," she said, getting straight to the point.

"Well obviously," I said exasperatedly. "The stable boy Alana! Are you serious? Why would you set up your heart for that?"

We both knew perfectly well how that would never work. Even marrying a rich man who was not of royal blood was a struggle, but a peasant? That was near to impossible.

"Well you fell for your guard!" She pointed out leaving me shocked. "That is almost the same!"

"H-how did you know that?" I asked stunned.

"Please," she rolled her eyes. "Anyone with eyes could tell. You stare at her as if she is a goddess here to bless this earth. Even a blind man can tell with the way you go on and on about how talented she is."

My cheeks burned scarlet in embarrassment. Was I that obvious?

"Well it doesn't matter, I still have to marry you for--"