Chapter 13 - The Wifey

Xiomara wobbled back down the stairs feeling like a fat lazy, overfed cat. Her belly was not bigger than the size of a small round coconut, so the fatness she felt was all in her head. Except, there was a living, breathing human being sleeping and growing inside of her, causing her body to feel heavier than normal.

In a way, babies were like parasites, feeding and leeching off of their host's body. Even though her baby wasn't literally sucking her dry, she felt drained half of the time.

What the heck was it going to feel like when she was eight months along with a belly the size of a circus tent? She couldn't imagine because right about now, it felt like someone had parked a Hummer on her back and then filled it up with sand.

She stopped at the bar where Francois was busy searching through some cabinets, his sand blond hair appearing to be spiked with gel. "You wanted to see me?" she asked.

"Aha, the mademoiselle of the hour. I wanted to make a coq au vin for dinner but Omar didn't get all the ingredients I needed, so I need to go to the supermarket. Willem should be here in an hour or so. Do you mind helping me with the preparations for lunch?" Francois flashed her with a broad smile, his baby blue eyes crinkling with an apology. It was as if he detested having to ask for her help.

"What were you thinking of making?" She leaned up against the counter for support. Man, was she happy that Omar wasn't around. That way she wouldn't have to put up with his severe I-have-humans-for-breakfast face and then clean my-teeth-with-their-bones thug demeanor.

"Willem said to keep it simple. I was thinking of some baguettes with cheese and salami. Some olives. And donuts. Omar managed to get the last part correct. They are in those pretty pink  and white boxes over there."  Francois pointed at two medium sized boxes sitting on the outskirts of the granite counter.

Xiomara walked around the island, her heels click-clacking on the tiled floor. "Sounds good."

"Alright, I will leave you to it then." Francois strolled out with a large reusable shopping bag folded under his arm, all the while humming a French song under his breath. It sounded like Celine Dion if she wasn't mistaken.

A serrated knife and a couple of french breads later, she yawned and stretched out her body like a lazy cat. The sweet aroma of the donuts got her on her feet a couple of seconds later. She opened one of the pink and white boxes and stuffed one sweet, perfectly rounded, chocolate glazed donut into her mouth.

Delicious. She licked her fingers and grabbed another one. This one had colorful sprinkles on it. Just as she was about to dig into the savory treat, she heard the voice of a man and a woman chattering in the foyer.

Dropping the donut back into the box, she closed the lid and then grabbed a sheet of paper towel to wipe the sugar off her hands.

"It's fake," Willem said.

"I can see that, but it looks so real," the woman answered, her voice soft and melodious. She was apparently under the impression of the fake plants that Xiomara had bolted right past because Omar had very unceremoniously deprived her of a moment to stop and take in the beautiful villa.

"I have plenty more just like that around. I wanted this place to feel like a paradise, both inside and out. Wait until you see the living and dining room."

Willem and the woman were now standing in the kitchen. Although Xiomara only had eyes for Willem, the woman was an attention grabber too. She came across smart, a little nerdy maybe, with straightened hair. Blue jeans and a modest top the color of sea moss covered up her voluptuous shape.