Chapter 24 - The Kick

Xiomara awoke with a start. The chill of the air-co caused goosebumps to rise on her skin. It wasn't long before she realized that she was not in her bed. She burrowed deeper under the downy sheets and stretched out her arms in search of Omar's warmth.

Cold sheets. Empty bed.

She sat up and looked around the room. Everything looked the same, and she saw no trace of anyone else being there. Had she dreamed about falling asleep in Omar's arms? If so, it was the nicest dream she'd had in a long time. Soft lips on her neck, cheek and temple, and then his muscled arm coming around her from behind to grab her breast. Oh yeah, the best dream. The kind of dream where she wanted to go back to bed just to finish it.

However, her dream about her father crying for his little girl discouraged any ideas she had about going back to sleep. She quickly got off the bed and half ran to the bathroom to relieve her bladder.

She walked back into the room to find that Omar had opened the drapes in front of the glass wall opposite the bed. He had his back to her, one hand in his pocket as he stared outside. Beyond him, the sky was the color of ash, dark clouds blocking out the sunlight. It was the perfect day to lie in bed all day. Except Omar wouldn't be joining her.

He was fully dressed for work, his short sleeved shirt tucked neatly into his pants, accentuating his broad shoulders. He looked like a model. One whose body she wanted to feel on top of her again.

Xiomara shut the bathroom door behind her, unsure of what to expect. She leaned against the door when Omar turned around to gaze at her with smoldering heat in his eyes, his usual hard mask disappearing behind the sexy curve of his lips.

"Good morning, baby," he said. "I made you breakfast." He pointed at a tray of food sitting on the desk next to where he stood.

"Thank you." She smiled at him. "Are you going somewhere?"

He nodded. "I have to drop Amelia off at the airport and check in at the office. I won't be long. I'll definitely be back in time to take you out for dinner."

"You don't have to change your plans to suit me. I think maybe I should just go home." She peeked up at him and waited for his reaction. As it were, she liked being here maybe a little too much.

"What? No. I mean, why the sudden change of heart? Was it something I said?" His eyebrows dipped in, his hard mask returning full force.

"Not at all, I just think it's for the best."

"I doubt you know what's best for you, even if it hit you in the face," he said. "You insist on doing this alone when you don't have to."

The gravity of his tone brought the defensive out of her. "Oh, so now you think you know me? You don't know the first thing about me, Omar, and least of all what's good or not good for me." She went to grab her suitcase, but he stepped in front of her, his large torso blocking her path. "Get out of my way," she said through clenched teeth.

Omar sighed, agitation written all over his face. "You're doing it again, shutting me out. Don't shut me out, Xiomara." He lifted his hand to caress the side of her face with his fingers, but she flinched and turned her head away from him.

"Please," he said.

Xiomara swallowed hard and lifted her head to meet his wary gaze. "You can't decide what's good for me when you have no plans on sticking around. And I'm not just talking about until the baby's born, but way after."