Chapter 20 - The Emergency

If you didn't read The Stranger's Wife yet, but want to, this chapter contains SPOILERS!

Omar helped Xiomara out of the pool, his hand snaking around her waist to steady her. He tucked her in next to his body as he listened to Willem on the other end of the phone. The guy sounded stressed, more agitated than normal.

Next to him, Xiomara stared up at him as he spoke. Her wet lashes made her eyes seem larger than normal so that he was unable to look away. He secretly took pleasure in the fact that she hadn't resisted his desperate attempt to have her near him.

Funny shit was, it had nothing to do with the way the pool's water glistened off her gorgeous body or her worried smile. Having her in the nook of his arm just felt right. Or maybe, just maybe he wanted to make a point. Instead of going all caveman and hiding her body from Francois he had chosen to make a statement by pulling her flush against him, claiming her in a subtle yet obvious way. Hopefully the guy got the message.

Omar hung up the phone and handed it over to Francois. He let out a long breath of air and ran his hand over his cropped hair.

Both Francois and Xiomara waited on him to impart information. He wasn't sure how much he should tell them. Willem was a relatively private person, and Omar was certain he wouldn't appreciate his employees getting an earful of what went on in his personal life.

"Are you going to tell us what happened?" Xiomara asked when he offered no explanation.

He cleared his throat and said the first thing that came to mind. "Willem's son is in the hospital and his condition just got worse. The doctors are afraid he might not live for much longer."

"Oh my God. Wow. I didn't even know he had a son," Xiomara said.

"I am sorry to hear that," Francois added. "I have met Bradley on numerous occasions. He's a bright kid. I truly hope the doctors are wrong on this one."

Omar blinked and looked over the horizon at the endless expanse of blue. "Yeah, me too," he muttered.

Life was short. No kidding about that. One second Bradley was biking home from school, and the next a drunk driver had rammed his car into the teenager, breaking several bones, resulting in internal bleeding, a fractured skull and severe brain bleed.

As if he gripped by an epiphany, Omar tightened his hold on Xiomara's waist and brought her hand to his lips. "Please tell me you'll be careful." He kissed the palm of her hand and then he spoke in her ear. "I want you and the baby safe at all times. I will not lose my son before he gets here."

Xiomara curled her fingers against his lips and gazed up at him. "Stop it. You're scaring me."

"I'm sorry." He cleared his throat again and spoke so that Francois could hear him. "Willem wants us to pack everything up. We're all leaving Anguilla today. A helicopter will be here shortly to lift him and his wife off to St. Maarten as quickly as possible. The rest of you will take the ferry back. Francois, he wants you to donate whatever food is left."

Francois straightened his goatee as his blue eyes came back to settle on them. "I'm on it." He marched off in the direction of the villa with urgency in his steps.

Xiomara grabbed Omar's hand and was about to step away from him, but he tightened his grip, pulled her in close and buried his face in her neck. "I want you to know that I'm dead serious about you moving in with me."