Chapter 31 - Fool's Paradise

It was early. The sun had burst through the clouds awhile ago and was now heating up the pavements and the glass wall that surrounded the patio. Beyond them, down the cliff was the beach, and if he listened carefully he might just hear the waves breaking over the shore.

Omar took a bite of his ninth pancake and glanced across the table at Xiomara, who for some reason was still on her second pancake. She was mostly licking the syrup off her fork than actually eating. He curbed his need to sit her on his lap and force feed her like he was prone to do.

He swallowed and took a swig of his orange juice. "This morning I told Esme that I wanted to get a TV for her room and she outright told me that she didn't want it."

Xiomara snorted, and then her beautiful lips quivered with signs of laughter.

"You think that's funny?" he asked. "I see you enjoy watching me make a fool out of myself. I mean, which thirteen-year-old doesn't want their own personal TV in their room?"

She fluttered her lashes at him and a clever smile formed on her lips. "Esmeralda likes you, honey. You don't need to by her stuff. And plus, she doesn't think we'll be here for long. That's why when Joanna suggested we give her room a makeover, she also said no."

He frowned. "Why would she think that? Is that what you think?"

"It's your house, Omar. I will stay as long as you want me, but my sister is another story. I'm the one you're in love with. You never asked to move her in here with us. I made that decision for us. It's probably just a matter of time before you start feeling claustrophobic in your own home. And with the baby coming, it's going to get crowded."

Omar slowly placed his knife and fork down on his plate, his eyes never leaving her face. "My love for you extends to Esmeralda as well. She's like a little sister to me. You need to talk to her and tell that you're here to stay."

"I don't want to lie to her."

"You plan on leaving?" His voice was harsh, the thought of her walking out of his life made him sweat.

She shook her head. "I'm just trying to be realistic."

"I think you meant to say pessimistic."

"I'm sorry. I know how hard you're trying to show me that you care and that you meant it when you said you weren't going anywhere. It just feels unreal sometimes. Like why me? I'm so used to being around liars and cheaters that it's taking me a bit of time to adjust. You're a good man. I just need to wrap my head around that fact. I love you, and I'm tired of running from us. I don't want to run anymore."

"It's okay, baby." He reached out across the table to touch her hand. "If you ever feel like running, run to me first. I will listen to whatever it is that's bothering you."

Xiomara nodded, her eyes bright. She licked her fork and memories from last night came back at him in vivid color. Her tongue flicking the head of his erection, the delicious warmth of her mouth surrounding him in exquisite pleasure. Everything about her was sensual. From her dark Spanish eyes to the way she talked.

"I was thinking," he said after awhile, "I can help you find your father or find out what happened to him."

She paused with her fork half way to her mouth. "You would do that? Why?"