Engagement Mark

Jace's POV-

When the door to my hospital room opened and especially given the time of day, I had expected to see Sky coming back to check on me or maybe my dad but I wasn't expecting Sasha to be here. She was followed by Ashton and together, they both entered my room and closed the door behind them.

Sasha looked at me and there was sadness in her eyes and she looked like she was about to cry. I watched as both of them came up to me and with each step, Sasha's eyes filled with tears. When she was close enough, I'd found myself wondering how come she hadn't broken down in a fit of tears yet. She was being surprisingly strong.

I gave her a weak smile and she opened her mouth as if to say something but as soon as she did, she clamped a hand over her mouth to stop from crying out as the tears finally broke. "I can't do this right now." She whispered in a shaky voice before she hastily made her exit.

I kept quiet. Sasha was having a hard time dealing with my cancer. Just like my mom and dad and Sky who were all having a difficult time coming to terms with eventually losing me, Sasha was breaking down since I probably had a few weeks at best left.

We are the best of friends all the way from kindergarten. With all the things we've been through together, accepting that I would only be here for too short a time was really hard on her.

"I will say this, Jace." Ashton spoke up after several minutes of silence had passed. After Sasha's exit, we'd both fallen into an awkward silence as either of us knew what to say. The atmosphere was thick with trepidation. "You need to fight this cancer. It may not be too late. You need to survive...not just for your parents but for Sky and Sasha. What's happening to you is tearing them apart. They're terrified of losing you so you can't just give up."

I shook my head. "It is already too late. The cancer's won."

Sky's POV-

"It's been five fucking days!" I yelled getting up so suddenly in a fit of rage that the chair fell over. Dale raised his hand and motioned for me sit down motioning for me to calm down. But, I was too worked up to give a damn about keeping my temper in check.

"Don't fucking tell me to stay calm, Dale! It's been five fucking days since that piece of shit ruined everything and we can't find him. Because of him, I buried my father sooner than I wanted. My mate is hospitalized and now the mating ritual has to be postponed because he's not getting discharged until tomorrow. If I lose Jace, I swear to God Ezra, if I can't kill your father, you'll do." I shouted angrily before storming out of the conference room.

Ignoring Dale's calls for me to come back since the small meeting we were holding concerning Jessop's whereabouts was not yet over, I walked out of the building and got into my car. Turning the engine on, I reversed out of the driveway and sped off toward the hospital.

The hospital was twenty minutes away but given that I was so mad and drove like a madman on the road, I got there in about twelve minutes tops given the fact that I got every red light on the way there. Once there, little to no time was wasted in making a march straight to the floor where Jace's room was where I bumped into Jace's father as soon I as got out the elevator. He'd just come from seeing about his son but the look on his face caused my stomach to wrench painfully.

There was sadness in his eyes...I'd seen something similar to it in Jessop's eyes when he spoke about Ronan's death...no...

It can't be...please no. "Did something happen, Dr. Conner?" I asked nervously my heart hammering in my chest. I could feel my eyes already burning with unshed tears. Please don't tell me I was too late. I can't lose Jace now, not when we're so close.