ROUND 20: SILENCE SPOKE VOLUMES WHEN YOU LEFT.

Luke woke up to an empty bed, the boy reaching out for the short girl who wasn't next to him

Luke woke up to an empty bed, the boy reaching out for the short girl who wasn't next to him. He sat up at this, rubbing his eyes as he looked around the room. Nellie wasn't present in the room, which made him nervous because she was basically his support system for the weekend. He hoped she was simply somewhere else in the house and did a quick morning routine before he walked out of the room and to the kitchen where he figured she would be, only to find out Nellie wasn't in the kitchen when he stepped in. Rather it was just his mother and a few members of Lindsey's family. He looked around for a moment, his mother catching sight of him before she smiled. He still couldn't really tell what her motivations were and it put him on edge.

"Good morning," she said. Luke mumbled something back, the boy glancing over at the small table in the kitchen (which he already felt tension radiation from). He shifted uncomfortably as he stood in the doorway, the boy shaking his head as he made his way over to the counter his mother was having her coffee at. Luke leaned against the counter as he watched his mother for a moment, the woman looking up at him before she raised an eyebrow at him. "Can I help you with something, Luke?"

"Where's Nellie? Or Lindsey?" He asked.

"They went out," she said. The boy made a face at this before he covered it with his hands. He held back his groan as he grabbed his phone from the counter and texted Nellie. He felt like he was going to have a mental breakdown if he was left there without Nellie or Lindsey to be able to pull him through the awkward situation. His mother called his name as he sent the text to Nellie, the woman holding out a plate for him before he took it reluctantly. He walked over to the table with his phone in his hand, the object vibrating as he sat at the table.

"Hello, Luke," Lindsey's mother said. The boy offered her a quiet greeting back. He was mostly worried about someone being condescending, which was really the last thing he needed. He kind of wanted to get the awkward thing over with, but Nellie wasn't even there yet and he knew that was half the battle. The woman continued to look at Luke for a moment before she smiled again. "How have you been?"

"Better," he said. "How about you?" He asked, making the woman shrug her shoulders gently. She never really answered his question, which made him feel like an ass. (Which ultimately lead him to overthink his word choice of better as if he was the one who deserved it.) Instead of feeding into it he looked at his phone to see a text from Nellie, the girl telling him that she was on her way back and that she loved him. (Her exact workers were: i'm on my waaaay. ps i have something for u bc i love u). The boy couldn't help but smile at this, her little words making him feel the slightest bit better as he sat there at the awkward table. Lindsey's mother stood up from the table as her husband watched her, the man leaning closer to Luke a few seconds after she started speaking to the other woman in the kitchen.

"Lindsey tells me you have a new girlfriend. Is she cute?" The man asked, trying to break the ice as Luke sat there stiff for a moment. He didn't really know how the man was going to react to whatever he said, for all he knew the man was just trying to corner him. This wasn't really the case because he was really the only male figure Luke had ever had so when Jules did die, the man had a personal conflict within himself over the entire situation. He eventually gave up on his anger after long talks with his only daughter now; turns out she was very forgiving and for the main reason she knew her sister would have wanted her to be.