ROUND 26: AT WHAT COST?

[the best

[the best. my fav. iconic hair look, circa 2015]

"Lainey, where is Nellie?"

Luke asked his girlfriend's sister this question nervously as he looked around the apartment quickly. Lainey only mumbled something to herself after her quiet reply to the boy. She knew where Nellie was, but she was more focused on what she was doing so Nellie would leave her alone. Luke ran his hands through his hair when Lainey didn't give him an answer, a feeling nervousness started to tear apart his insides as looked around for the girl. He had just taken the forty minute ride to the city without Nellie, which contradicted the promise she had made to him about it a few days prior. They had found the apartment a couple of weeks ago and Luke knew Nellie loved it when she laid eyes on, the boy not wanting to tell her no.

So now there they were, in the heart of city, paying for an apartment Luke was going to be able to afford five times over after the fight he had planned in a few weeks. Nellie hated thinking about it like that, mostly because the idea of the capital gain got under her skin. Luke never spoke about it because he knew Nellie didn't care, but he knew he would buy her the entire world if she asked. Luke continued to look around for the girl as his heart started to race, the boy's hand shaking nervously as he found Lainey's girlfriend in another room. The boy groaned before Lainey glanced over at him, the blonde girl furrowing her eyebrows in slight annoyance.

"She's not dead, Luke," Lainey said, making the boy glare at her as the sound of keys in the door caught his attention. Luke looked at the door as it opened, the short girl he was looking for making her way in with their dog in her arms. The girl mumbled something as she put the dog on the floor, her eyes looking up quickly before she immediately started talking.

"I'm so sorry," she rushed, walking towards Luke as he glared at her. A frown quickly took over his glare as he sat there, Nellie shaking her head at him. "I'm sorry, baby," she said, grabbing his face gently as tears started to well up his eyes.

"Nellie, you promised," Luke mumbled. She nodded her head, her eyes looking guilty before she glanced over at Lainey for a second. Nellie cleared her throat before she asked Lainey to get out for a second, the action making her sister give her an annoyed look before Nellie made a face pleading with her. Lainey sighed as she tossed the plate back into the box and stepped into the room that her girlfriend was in, closing the door behind her as Nellie looked back at Luke. "Nellie—"