The Writing On The Wall

Chapel Winters is finishing off the last few minutes left of her shift at the Spiderweb Café by wiping down a few messy tables that a group of witches left behind after their weekly book of spells club. She doesn't mind. It's always slow on Tuesday afternoons so she is perfectly fine with having something to do. Morris, her boss, is a large oaf who smells of rotting pumpkins. He owns the place but left early for "personal reasons" and left her in charge of closing. The café is only open from 8:00 am-2:00 pm except on Halloween, in which case it's open all night long so they can cater to the entire town for the big celebration. Chapel loves Halloween but for the past several years she spent it alone working the night shift. The distraction of cleaning isn't enough to distract her from Mr. Wolfman's visit earlier today. She can feel her past rising up in the back of her throat like bile, leaving a repulsive taste in her mouth. She swallows it down and takes a deep breath, focusing on stacking chairs.
She has never spoken of her former lifestyle with anyone. Not that it matters what anyone will think. Who cares if people find out she used to be a streetwalker? But there are some secrets that should be left untold. Secrets much more haunting than the life of a harlot. She wouldn't know what to do if Eddie ever found out...
Chapel and Eddie met five months ago at a bar and instantly fell in love. He's a young vampire, gentle and kind. Drawn by her ability to see the beauty in all things. She hopes one day he will turn her into a vampire.
She couldn't bear the thought of Eddie finding out about this dark part of her life. She thinks to herself, what if he had been there earlier today when Mr. Wolfman was harassing her to come back? She whispers a prayer under her breath hoping he never makes another attempt again.
"Babe."
Chapel wisps around and her heart flutters. She grins and runs into Eddie's arms, combing her fingers through his soft, blonde hair.
"I couldn't wait," He laughs as he hugs her back and kisses the top of her head. "I missed you," His breath is cold and minty-fresh. "Let's go home."
"Just a sec, I gotta lock up,"
Eddie waits in the dining room as she finishes closing the store. She goes into the back office to lock the register in the safe. That was when she saw the writing on the wall. The register crashes to the floor as she cups her hands to her mouth to hold back her screams.
Written in what appears to be dripping red paint above the desk are the words; Hello, Doll Face.
"Honey, are you okay?" Eddie calls out front.
"Y-yeah, every... everything's fine," She calls back and whispers to herself, "I hope."
She picks up the money off the floor, recounts the bills, and places them in the safe before she turns off the light and locks the door.
Chapel doesn't say a single word as she and Eddie hold hands while walking down the avenue to their townhouse.
Halloween Town was built on a large hill on such closed quarters it makes the walkways and streets narrow. That's the beauty of this town; a simple place filled with simple folk who share the same love for Halloween.
As the two of them stroll down the street, his vampire-cold hand overlapping hers, she wonders to herself how she could be so lucky. Not everyone can find love. Now that she's found her's with Eddie she's never letting it go. If Oogie Boogie is out to get her then let him find her. She'll be ready.