trente-deux

"mike, what happened?" hopper asked mike.

"i- it just- it got-" mike tried to speak, but he couldn't do it. his eyes flitted around the room nervously.

"tell me, mike, how did you find jane?"

"she was- i- no, i-i found her in the stall. she was- she was already dea- dead or i mean, i- i think she was dead," mike lied, tears welling up in his eyes.

"i'm sorry, this must be incredibly hard for you," another officer said.

"i just- i miss her so much. jane just became- she was my friend," mike continued with his lie. was it bad if he said it was fun to lie?

"we'll leave you to rest," hopper finished, patting mike on the shoulder. mike flinched, nodded, and wiped blood off of his face with a napkin. luckily, he had been able to change into a fresh shirt.

his mother ran up to him, sighing and hugging him. "oh mike, i'm so sorry, i know you liked that jane girl," she whispered.

mike wrapped his arms around his mother and buried his head into her shoulder. he was taller than her now by a few inches. he looked up, darkly glaring past his loving mother.

he had lied to protect himself. he knew what he did. he did it to help the world. that was what she said.

michael wheeler, an innocent and sweet lovesick teenager, had killed jane ives.