brick

Jimin hurried to work after an accidentally long nap. He slammed his car door shut and ran to the store door without thinking.

 He suddenly remembered his vest which he had nearly forgot and ran back to get it. He hoped and prayed his manager wasn't there to catch him coming in late. 

He walked in after retrieving his vest and sighed in relief to see an empty store, aside from the employee who had the shift prior to Jimin. They exchanged glances and Jimin apologized for being late. The boy slapped the bundle of keys on the counter and walked out without saying anything. 

Jimin situated himself and prepared for yet another long night.

Jimin had gotten so bored that he played a game with himself, simply just to keep himself occupied and distracted from his reality of being at work. The game consisted of guessing the exact time that Nari would come in. The last three nights he was only off by a few minutes. He guesses tonight she would come in at 1:27 am. In 4 minutes.

All of a sudden, he heard the back door open. No one has a key to that door, except employees. He assumed it was the manager, but he didn't hear the key turn. As his suspicion grew, the security alarm rang. The high pitch tone sounded through the store, and Jimin ran to the back to see what happened.

The door had been forced open, and it sat open. Jimin cautiously peeked outside, and saw no one. He stepped in the doorway and called out.

"Hello?"

No response. 

As he stared into the quiet night, the sound of glass shattering made him almost drop to the ground. 

The crackling sound came from the front of the store. He slammed the back door and ran to the front. He saw that the store window was completely broken, glass shards sprinkled on the floor. His eyes skirted the damage and saw a big red brick on the floor. He looked to the row of refrigerated drinks to see multiple cases of beer taken.

He brought his hands to his head and pulled the hair taut. He started to shut down when the security bell brought him back. He walked to the back of the store to disarm it. He took 3 deep breaths and returned to the front.

He saw a person standing over the broken glass, looking at the brick. Jimin was about to start shouting at them to leave, when he recognized it to be Nari.

She spun around with wide eyes. 

"What the hell happened, Jimin?" She looked at him with shock.

"I don't know." His hand returned to his hair and tugged. "I heard the back door open, and the alarm went off so I went to check it, and then I heard the glass shatter. God I'm so fired."

Nari stepped away from the glass. "Not if you tell the cops and your manager that. It wasn't your fault. The people who did this obviously broke through the back to distract you. Nobody can blame you for doing your job."

Jimin pulled out his phone but his fingers shook too much to dial the number for the police. Nari took hers out and dialed it.

The police arrived a few minutes later. Jimin sat on the counter and waited for the officers to ask him questions. He heard the heavy clunking of his manager's boots through the back of the store.

He sighed and let his head fall into his hands. He looked up to Nari, who gave him an assuring nod. He stood up, and prepared himself for what he was about to face.