fight

His manager turned bright pink.

Jimin watched as he had the same shocked reaction Jimin did minutes earlier. The only difference was that his manager did a lot more yelling.

Almost every officer stopped and turned to witness the screams that escaped his mouth. Jimin wanted to hide behind the shelves. He was talked down to in such a condescending manner that Jimin felt tears well up in his eyes.

"How hard is it to watch a store?" He yelled.

"Please, sir. They distracted me when I went to look in the-"

"I don't want to hear it! This is all I have to see to know that you were slacking off. I'm positive you were sleeping, or messing around with that-"

"Excuse me sir!" Nari spoke up.

"You. Of course you're here." The manager pointed a finger at her.

"Jimin didn't do anything wrong. The people who broke in obviously split up so they could cause a distraction at the back of the store, and go in through the front."

She had pleading eyes and a confident voice.

Jimin loved that.

The manager's face remained stoic. It made Jimin wring his hands together.

"Look at the security footage! You'll be able to see Jimin go to the back when the alarm rings. He wasn't sleeping." She looked to Jimin with a reassuring nod.

"I don't care. He cost me money for stolen merchandise, a new window, and a new back door. It is unacceptable. You're gone. I don't want to see you, or you-" He pointed to Nari "-ever again."

"But sir-" Jimin spoke.

"You heard me. Out. Hang your vest up on your way out. Your final paycheck will be at your house by the end of the week."

Jimin's jaw fell open. Without risking any more embarrassment, he removed his vest and walked to the back. He hung it up and moved past the officers examining the broken door to the parking lot.

He let the brisk air attempt to calm him, but his body was shaking. He was furious. He stormed further into the parking lot when he heard that familiar angelic voice call his name.

"Jimin, wait." Nari shouted.

He turned slowly, only to see her holding her hand with a pained expression on her face.

"Nari? What's wrong with your hand?" His anger vanished and it was replaced with deep concern.

"What do you think? I slapped some sense into that asshole. Though I'm not sure how effective it was." She flashed a wide grin.

Jimin covered his mouth with his hand in shock, but then again, it was Nari we were talking about here.

She walked up to him and gave him a hug. He wrapped his arms around her waist and they stayed there for a while. Jimin had gotten used to the sensation that Nari gave him. In fact, he welcomed it. it reminded him that she was his.

"I'm sorry, Jimin. Don't worry too much about it though. It wasn't your fault, truly. And we can find you another job."

Jimin nodded, not really sure what to say. "Thanks. For everything tonight. I really needed you."

Jimin always needed her.

She smiled up at him. "Anytime. I'm just bummed that now I have to see some other lame teenager's face behind the counter when I get a midnight snack."

Jimin laughed, but his eyes saddened. "Goodnight, Nari."

"Drive safe. And text me tomorrow! We'll have a job search party."

He nodded and got into his car. He waved at her once more when leaving. She waved back and stuck her hands in her jacket pocket. She watched him drive out of the lot, and then she was out of sight.

It was a bittersweet departure, but they knew that they would reunite. They would never leave each others' lives.

Nari would always be the one that was least expected, and Jimin would always be the one that would never expect her coming.

It's just how they worked.

Almost like someone buying obscure but completely normal things at midnight.

Almost like what happens in a graveyard shift.

Unexpected.