chicken, rice, and chips

Jimin could hardly keep the smile off his face as he waited for Nari to show up. He felt like his body had just ingested five thousand energy drinks as he tapped his fingers on the counter impatiently.
He hoped that everything was okay between them, and that Nari didn't say anything she regretted. He really appreciated what she said, even if it was just a drunken confession and probably didn't mean much.

Saturday night brought a wave of teenagers and young kids roaming aimlessly around the store in hopes to find something to abade their boredom.

Nari wobbled in earlier than usual. Jimin met her with a smile and she returned his gaze with a yawn.

"You tired from last night's party?" Jimin asked amusingly, his smirk widening.

She groaned in response.

"How was your morning?" His curiosity always seemed to be itching when he spoke to her. He felt like he asked too many questions, but he really wanted more information asking about the aftermath of last night.

She groaned again. "My head hurt, and I couldn't eat breakfast."

"Need some pain killers? Or some food?" Jimin asked. He couldn't help this need to constantly take care of her. For some strange reason, it just felt natural to him. It was like she was too fragile to be left alone. She needed someone.
And he needed her.

"I'll have the chef's special." She said, her mouth now matching Jimin's smirk. She rested her hands on her elbows which rested on the counter.

She saw that Jimin looked confused. She laughed softly, and Jimin swore that he saw heaven whenever she laughed like that.

"What would you buy if you were blessed with this wide selection of probably-expired snacks?" She said playfully, her eyes even more playful than her posture.

"Hey! I restock the food aisle every day!" He said with a jokingly-offended expression.

"Well then Masterchef, what would you recommend?" She squinted her eyes at him, but still had a smile on her lips.

"I would have to take a look at the selection first." He said while walking away from the counter and letting out a slight giggle as he felt his cheeks heat up.

"I thought you were the king of restocking? And you're telling me you don't even know your own inventory?!" Nari pretended to scold him, but failed miserably as she let out another angel-like laugh.

"I guess I should just quit now!" He threw his hands up in defeat, trying his best not to laugh along with her but also failing.

They walked up and down the aisles while Jimin searched for a wholesome dinner for Nari.

After grabbing a microwavable chicken and rice meal, with a bag of chips for the side, he brought the items to the register. She reached for her wallet, but Jimin said no, and told her it was on him. She smiled and thanked him.
As he was bagging her meal, she turned around and browsed the rack of gum behind her.

As she had her back to him, Jimin took the final step he needed to get close with Nari. He was terrified, but had an odd feeling of peace as he grabbed a pen and scribbled his phone number on the back of her receipt, signed "Jimin :)".

He cheerfully handed her the bag and wished her a goodnight. He could see the bags under her eyes, which made his mood drop immensely.
He hoped she would text him later, so he could tell her to sleep well.
He hoped a lot of things lately.
She smiled at him tiredly, and yawned loudly as she walked through the door and to her apartment.
Jimin released his fake smile as he exhaled.
He wanted her to be okay.
But he was just as bad as her.
Maybe even worse.