Prologue

Setting: The streets of Midtown New York 2008; an eight year old girl running as fast as she can, as if she's running away or escaping from something...

Scared, panting, and out of breath the young girl clings to the crumpled piece of paper in her hand as she continues to run and refuses to look behind her; knowing it would only slow her down to do so and greater her chances of being caught by them. Squeezing the paper in her left hand and the silver wishbone pendant necklace round her neck in the right, she stops and looks around frantically for a place to hid. Seeing a dark alley way and hearing the quick stomping of shoes on the pavement ground behind her, she rushes into the alley and throws her exhausted body into the dumpster. Slowing her breath the best she can till it's quiet; she listens carefully for the sound of the people chasing her to go by. She sits in the dumpster on pile of smelly trash, clutching her necklace tight with her eyes squeezed shut as if desperately wishing on it as hard as she can.

After a while of silence the girl quietly creeps her head out of the lid of the dumpster to see if the cost is clear; once she sees no one around, she lets out a quiet sigh of relief and climbs out. Just as her feet hit the ground outside the dumpster, she feels exhaustion and hunger take over her. It had been a long time since she'd eating; she couldn't be sure how long exactly, all she pack with her before leaving was the paper note in her hand, the necklace around her neck, and a single bottle of water that she had finished earlier that day. She was tired, hungry, dying for a drink,had no money, cold and really not dressed right for this time of the year. Her pale skin is cold and had a dry-rough kind of feel to it; while she wore a summer sun dress of red with the only pair of shoes she owned-warn down, gold colored flip flops.

The only coat on her body was that of dirt from over the years, her wavy-messy- dark brown hair, was supposedly the same as that of her fathers while her eyes where all her mother's...or at least they use to be anyway. She had no pictures of either of them to bass this stuff off of; just the note in her left hand and the necklace of a silver chain and wishbone around her neck. She sighs once more as her small frame lets out another growl in hunger and slowly and carefully makes her way trudging back out the alley and through the bitter cold weather of falling rain while her feet trudge through the thick snow on the ground- counting towards the large tower that reads, "STARK" on the side.

She breathed slow, short breaths as she trudged in an attempt to keep what little body heat she had within herself; she was thank full that it had started to grow dark-the people chasing her wouldn't be able to find her as easily as they would in the day-but at the same time, she still knew it wasn't safe to let down her guard either. She was surprised however, that there weren't more people on the streets concerned with an eight year old girl running around in a sun dress, flip flops and covered in dirt in the city alone, in the dead of winter...surely something like this wasn't perceived as normal was it? Then again, she was only eight; what did she know about the world and people and how things worked?...nothing that's what.

Finally reaching the tower, she glances down at the crumpled note in her left hand once more; she takes in a deep, cold breath to steady herself and proceeds to force her weak, tired body to bang on the door as hard and loud as her little hands can. The girl watches as a lady at the front desk inside looks up at her, gives her a strange look, and proceeds to pick something up and do something with it. After a moment of the woman talking into it, she sets it down again and moments later a woman with reddish blond hair comes out in a hurry and towards the door. The lady opens the door with a look of panic on her face...

"Are you alright?" She asks looking at the girl before her

"Pepper what is it?" Comes a mans voice from behind the lady

"It's not a what Tony; it's a who," Pepper says

"What?" Tony asks as he comes closer

At that moment that Tony came to the door, something inside the girl's body gives out (no, not her heart) and she falls to cold snow covered ground in front of them; blacking out as she still clutched the note tightly in her left hand and the charm of her necklace in the right...