X. Hold On

[Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters from ABC's hit show, ONCE UPON A TIME.]

The classroom burst into a whirlwind of pandemonium, students hurriedly collecting their scattered belongings, eager to escape the confines of the room. Amidst the clamor, Belle, Emma, and Ruby stood their ground near the back, hesitant to be swept away by the frenzied tide. Ruby, however, couldn't resist the pull for long. With a swift, decisive move, she darted down the stairs, her footsteps echoing her urgency.

At the bottom step, Ruby paused and turned to her companions. "Gals, I gotta bounce. My prof next class is a total tool," she declared, vanishing through the doorway without another word.

Emma furrowed her brow. "Wait, didn't she used to think her prof was cool?"

Belle chuckled, adjusting her glasses. "Ruby's a special snowflake, Em. One minute she adores you, and if you do something she doesn't approve of, she'll hate your guts."

Emma rolled her eyes. "Right... How could I forget?"

Belle giggled. "So, you're free this period, huh?" she asked, glancing at her friend.

"Yeah, what's up?"

"You wanna get something to eat?"

Emma's eyes lit up at the prospect of food. "Ooh, let's go!" she exclaimed, practically drooling at the thought.

Just as they reached the door, Regina's commanding voice cut through the air. "Miss Swan, may I have a word with you?"

Emma's heart skipped a beat. She and Belle stopped in their tracks, turning to face their instructor. "Yes, professor," Emma replied, her voice barely above a whisper.

Belle flashed Emma a mischievous grin. "Guess we'll have to grab food another time," she whispered, slipping out the door.

What's that about, Bells? Emma pondered but brushed the thought aside.

She made her way up to the podium, drawn by the distinct voice that had beckoned her. Professor Regina Mills sat poised at her desk, meticulously reviewing a stack of papers, seemingly oblivious to Emma's presence across from her. Emma took a moment to glance around the room before clearing her throat. "Yes, Regina? Do you need something?" she said confidently.

"Professor is fine," Regina replied with a sternness in her tone, her eyes still fixed on the papers before her.

There was a brief silence. Professor? Wait, what's going on? Emma's heartbeat quickened, her confidence fading. "Y-yes, professor?" she stammered.

Regina paused from her writing to look up at the blonde, who was now producing a single bead of sweat on her brow. She stared at the bead intently, as if trying to control when it would slide down Emma's face. The silence was deafening, broken only by the unusually loud ticking of the clock behind and above Regina. The bead of sweat finally succumbed to gravity, rolling down and disappearing under Emma's chin.

"That's the thing, Miss Swan," Regina began, her voice stern and unwavering. "What happened last weekend... should never have happened."

Emma's heart sank as she heard the words that had become synonymous with disappointment and regret. It was as if she had been punched in the gut, leaving her breathless and reeling. She felt like she was trapped in a never-ending nightmare, unable to wake up from its clutches.

"Whatever do you mean?" Emma asked, her voice shaking slightly as she struggled to keep her emotions in check. "The wine tasting event was wonderful," she added lamely, hoping to deflect attention away from herself.

Regina's eyes fluttered closed as she let out a soft sigh. When she opened them again, her gaze landed on Emma, who was fighting hard to hold back her tears. Regina's eyes softened as she took in Emma's distress. She noticed how Emma's eyes were beginning to well up with tears, and her breathing was becoming more labored by the second.

"I-I understand," Emma stammered, her voice trembling as she struggled to speak. She bit her lower lip, trying to hold back the tears that threatened to spill over.

Regina's words were laced with sincerity as she shook her head. "It wasn't your fault," she emphasized, avoiding eye contact. "It was mine." A heavy sigh escaped her lips as she gazed down at the floor, her shoulders sagging under the weight of her guilt.

She took a few moments to collect herself before approaching Emma. As she drew closer, she was met with Emma's rigid posture and clenched fists. Regina's eyes softened as she noticed the tiny tremors coursing through Emma's body.

With gentle precision, Regina wrapped her fingers around Emma's clenched fists, releasing the tension that had built up inside her. Emma's grip relaxed as Regina's soothing touch washed over her, a sensation she craved more of.

The air was thick with unspoken words as the two women locked gazes, the silence between them crackling with tension. Emma's mind was a jumble of emotions, her thoughts swirling in circles like a whirlpool. It was as if she had lost a part of herself, a piece that had been irrevocably linked to the woman standing before her.

Emma's voice was steady as she apologized for her actions. "I'm sorry, Professor," she said, her words laced with sincerity. "I don't know what came over me." She took a deep breath before continuing. "I promise, it won't happen again," she vowed.

Emma's mind raced with a cacophony of thoughts as she hastily exited the room. Why did this have to happen again? She couldn't believe she had let her emotions get the better of her. She was supposed to be stronger than that.As she walked away, she couldn't shake off the feeling of embarrassment and shame. How could she have been so reckless? Regina was her professor...

Emma made her way out the front door as swiftly as she could manage. Stepping into the biting cold, a gust of wind whipped against her face, tugging at her hair. She wrapped her arms around herself, seeking warmth, but also a sense of comfort that used to come from Regina's touch. To her disappointment, it wasn't the same. She longed desperately for Regina's comforting embrace. Emma's eyes blurred with tears as they welled up. Trying to push aside thoughts of Regina and the recent events, Emma hurried across the grassy field, nearly trampling a bed of flowers in her haste. She made her way to the west side of the campus and into the library, keeping her head down, concealing the dread and heartbreak that consumed her just moments ago. Despite the cold wind that had chilled her face moments earlier, her cheeks burned with residual heat from the encounter. Quietly and swiftly, Emma ascended to the second floor and slipped into the back area of the library, hoping for solitude. To her relief, the back section was empty. Finding a corner, she sank to the carpeted floor, pulling her knees up to her chest, burying her head in her arms, and allowing herself to finally succumb to tears.

"Emma...?"

-FIN-

Finally, a dramatic turn! HAHA... thanks for reading! ^_^