XV. A Fantastic Thanksgiving (part three)

Continue...

"Well, aren't you going to ask me what I'm thankful for?" A woman in her sixties, her hair elegantly styled, interrupted the gathering in the dining hall with a confident stride. She wore an all-black pantsuit with a vibrant red blouse peeking from underneath, matching her bold lipstick. In her hand, she held a ceramic dish, which she handed to Sydney, the butler. "Here, my dear. Serve this for dessert," she instructed with a gracious smile as Sydney took the dish and bowed before departing to the kitchen.

"Eva, my darling!" Cora's voice filled the room with warmth as she grandly gestured towards Eva, her delight genuine as she rose from her chair. With an air of elegance, Eva reciprocated the greeting, stepping forward to embrace her guest in the customary cheek-to-cheek greeting. The subtle exchange of pleasantries spoke volumes of their long-standing friendship.

"I apologize for not being able to wait for you, dearest," Eva said with a touch of embarrassment, her voice carrying a hint of unease as she glanced at her husband. "We had a little... incident, before you arrived."

"It's alright, darling," Cora replied with a half-smile, her naturally stern demeanor softened slightly by the warmth of the greeting. She glanced around the room, taking in the assembled guests. "Looking at all these people, they look famished. I'm sure you all couldn't wait to eat," she remarked with a wry smile, acknowledging the tension in the room.

Eva led Cora over to Leo, who rose gallantly from his chair. "Ah, my dear Madam Mayor. It's good to see you," he said, pressing a kiss to Cora's hand.

"Likewise, Mr. Tycoon," Cora replied with a sly smile, a shared joke passing between the three of them.

As Sydney escorted Cora to her seat beside Mr. Gold, who wore a clear expression of disinterest, Cora greeted him with a knowing smile. "Gold," she said, her tone tinged with amusement.

"Mills," Mr. Gold sneered in return.

Emma's brow furrowed in confusion as the pieces of the puzzle began to align. Mills... Mayor Cora Mills. The realization hit her like a ton of bricks. How hadn't she connected the dots sooner? A headache threatened to resurface, a reminder to stop overthinking.

"Hello, mother," Regina's voice, calm and composed, cut through the tension, acknowledging the unexpected guest.

Mother? Emma's eyes widened in realization. Of course. Mayor Cora Mills was Regina's mother. It seemed so obvious now. Her mind raced with questions, her head throbbing with the weight of the revelations.

"Regina, dear," Cora said with a half-smile, her gaze lingering on her daughter. "Honestly, do we need to have elegant parties such as this for us to see each other?" she teased, affectionately brushing a hand over Henry's head. "You know I've missed you, especially my dearest grandson."

"I missed you too, grandma," Henry chimed in with a sparkle in his eye, glancing up at Mayor Mills, who returned his smile warmly.

Regina hesitated before replying, her expression unreadable. "How could we see each other? We were both too busy," she finally said with a confidence that belied the turmoil beneath the surface.

"And who is this young man standing near the doorway?" Leo Swan's voice broke the silence, drawing everyone's attention to the entrance. "Come on in, sir," he invited, gesturing for the newcomer to join them.

Behind Mr. Gold, a tall, dirty-blonde haired man clad in a sharp gray coat and tie approached, balancing two bottles of red wine. Mary Margaret's eyes lit up with recognition, and she sprang from her chair, eager to introduce him to her parents.