VI. Sweet As Wine

Continuing...

[Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters from ABC's hit show, ONCE UPON A TIME.]

Emma could feel her heart pounding faster in her chest, every beat drumming in a rhythm only lovesick puppies could feel.

Regina rose from her seat with the confidence of a queen and sauntered over to where Emma stood. She stopped right in front of Emma, mere inches away from her face. Emma's heart raced even faster now, the sound deafening in her ears. She was certain Regina could hear it, could feel her nerves.

"I wanted to ask you if..." Regina began, then paused, offering Emma a quick, comforting smile.

"I-if what, Professor?" Emma's words stumbled out, her composure strained as she tried not to raise any more suspicions.

Regina bit her lip before continuing, "If you're of legal age."

Legal age? What did she mean by that? Emma was stunned by the question. Her eyes widened as she tried to decipher the meaning behind Regina's words. Of legal age... Was she asking for permission? Oh my God, what if she is?

"Are you alright, Emma?" Regina's expression turned curious.

Lost in thought, Emma didn't respond immediately.

"Are you and your friends of legal age to attend the wine tasting this weekend?"

"Wine tasting?" Emma was still processing, unable to connect the dots. After a few seconds, it dawned on her that Regina was simply asking a straightforward question. "Oh, yes, the wine tasting! Yes, we're of legal age," Emma answered nervously, the moment feeling like an eternity.

"That's good news. Then I will expect you to be there," Regina smiled, returning to her desk. "Apple ale will surely be on the list."

"I can't wait to try it," Emma affirmed with delight as she made her way towards the exit. "I'll see you there, Professor."

As Emma exited the door, she let out a deep sigh, feeling like she had just made a fool of herself. She knew her professor possessed a mind as sharp as a needle, not to mention being a professor of psychology. Ugh, I'm such a failure. I couldn't even keep a straight face. And saying we're all of legal age? Total lie! I hope she didn't see right through that. Then again, maybe she already knew! Jeez! How am I going to face her this upcoming weekend...? But there's no point in sulking now. Ruby better get us those fake IDs.

Emma made her way to the university parking lot, got into her car, and drove to her younger brother's school to drop off his bag lunch. When it came to her brother, Emma was the big sister anyone could hope for. If Neal was lucky enough to have such a caring sister, then anyone else who won her heart would surely be fortunate too.

-Saturday morning/ Swan residence-

Belle, Emma, and Ruby sat on Emma's bed in her room. Ruby produced three identification cards from her custom knapsack bag, earning praise from Belle.

"Wow, your cousin really came through, Rubes. I'm impressed," Belle exclaimed, clearly excited.

"Of course he did. My cousin, Onyx, is the best," Ruby boasted proudly.

"Anything illegal seems to excite you, Bells," Emma teased, a playful smirk on her lips.

"Yeah, what's up with that, Miss 'Belle of the Ball'?" Ruby joined in, teasingly. "Never thought Miss Goody-Two-Shoes over here had any balls."

"First of all, I don't have any balls. Last time I checked, I'm female," Belle retorted, a hint of annoyance in her voice. "Second, reading about naughty things and crimes is not the same as actually experiencing them," she defended. "Plus, it's not like we're committing a heinous crime. It's harmless."