(22) Heat Festival \\ home

|| AZACIA ||

"I can't believe we have to leave this place," I say, dragging my bags outside.
"There's always next year," Darren smirks at me. I laugh.
"I guess so."

Together, all four of us make our way to Grayson's car.
"Yesterday was great," Hannah smiles.
"It was," I agree. Since it was basically our last day, we stayed inside and played various games. From 'never have I ever' to 'would you rather?' and many more.

Once we're all seated in the car, Grayson starts the engine and we begin the drive home.
"Anyone up for another round of 'would you rather?' " Darren asks from the back seat.

There's a brief moment of discussion, before everyone finally agrees.
I take the liberty of going first. "Darren, would you rather confess how you feel about Hannah or have me beat the answer out of you?" I smirk.

His face immediately turns a bright red color.
"Well if you must know, we're kind of a couple." He grins. I smile, turning to Hannah for confirmation. She blushes and buries her head in his arms.

That's adorable.

"I'm happy for you two. Just a little curious as to why I didn't know this. Did you?" I ask Grayson.
He shrugs and I groan. "Why am I always the last to find out things?"

"Azacia, would you rather have Grayson or Hannah as a best friend?"
"Grayson," I answer almost instantly. I hear a scoff from Hannah and turn to face her. "You don't tell me shit, at least Grayson's honest."

"Um..." I hear Grayson chime in.
I sigh in defeat. "Fine, I'd rather have Darren as a best friend," I conclude.
I hear Darren cheer from the backseat and I laugh.

"At least someone wants to be my best friend," I laugh. I look over at Hannah and we both smile.

"Your turn, Grayson." Darren says.
"Hannah, would you rather have me drop you at your house or Darren's?"
I see the look of indecision on her face.
Darren and her whisper something to each other.
"My house," he declares.

Grayson nods and we drive in that direction. I realize that Darren's house isn't that far from mine.

"Grayson, would you rather ask a girl out yourself or have her ask you?"
He's quiet for some time, before answering.
"I wouldn't mind either, but if I had to choose- I'll ask her out, because I like to plan things."

I consider his answer, understanding his point.
"Well, we're here," he says as we make a stop outside Darren's house.

"Enjoy, you two," I wink at Hannah.
She gives me a two fingered salute and I manage to laugh.

Once they've gone inside Grayson starts the car and we head to my house. When we get there, he helps me carry my bags out the car.

As I head inside, I see a sticky note on the kitchen counter:

gone out for pizza. be back later

"Well my family isn't here," I sigh, setting my bags down.
"But," I smile, "they left cookie mix,"

"You wanna bake them?" Grayson grins from the door.
"Shut the door," I instruct, grabbing the mixture off the table.

I grab a giant bowl to mix the cookie batter in.
Grayson and I work together to make it and eventually we have a successful mixture.

"I love cookie dough," I sigh, licking batter off my finger.
When I look up again, Grayson's face is right above mine. Silently, I stare up at him.

Unconsciously, I take a step back, hitting the refrigerator.
I swipe a strand of hair out of my face.
Grayson leans in slowly, gently grabbing my face with his hands.

His lips brush against mine. The kiss tender and sweet.
I move my lips in sync with his. Sparks reverberate through my entire body as realization sinks in.

He withdraws from the kiss and looks down at me. "That was a mistake."
"Isn't it always," I smile, feeling a single tear streak down my cheek.

"I'm-"
"I think you should leave," I say, not waiting for a response.

I make my way upstairs to my bedroom. Sinking onto my bed, I feel the tears rush down my cheeks.

=•=•=•=

- there was supposed to be some heart wrenching music to go with this chapter, but I'll leave it down below:

anyways, what do you guys think?