Cold

(Kalek's P.O.V)

Being awake felt strange. Suddenly I was in control of my body, but now that I was, I didn't know what I was meant to do.

It was cold. Every part of my body felt numb and foreign. It wasn't a nice feeling to wake up to. I squinted up at my surroundings, unable to get my eyes to focus. So I just lay there in a daze, feeling overwhelmed by the sudden control I had over myself.

But unbeknownst to me, they were watching, leaning forwards in their seats. Watching their creation come to life. And they weren't going to be patient.

Suddenly the ground beneath me started to shake, and with a press of a button, they got me up and running for my life, feeling fear before I even knew what fear was.

The ground began cracking open, threatening to send me hurling into the darkness. So I followed my instincts and kept running. In my panic, I swept my surroundings for an exit, only to find myself in a giant, empty, room. I already knew there was nowhere left to go but I kept running till I met a dead end.

I turned to face what I thought was my end, my blood running cold as the gaping crack in the ground grew till it was just inches away from me. Then it stopped and.......nothing. Nothing happened. But as new to this world as I was, I knew it wasn't over.

And I was right. A deafening screech echoed through the room, a sound that I would soon learn was the sound of metal against metal, as giant, grey machine rose out from the ground. Dozens of sharp, metal arrows stuck out of it, gleaming dangerously in the light and for awhile neither it or I moved.

The ground began to shake again as the wall behind me disappeared, leaving behind a series of entrances into maze of corridors. My instincts immediately clicked into place and despite the odd sensation of foreboding fluttering in my stomach, I turned on my heel and ran into the one closest to me.

I ran till I couldn't see it anymore. Till all I could hear was the sound of my footsteps thudding against the cold, concrete floor. I felt an odd pounding echoing through my head. I couldn't recognise it at the time but it was the sound of my heart, beating strong against my ribs.

I started to slow down, but I didn't stop till I felt sure I was safe.Casting a fearful glance over my shoulder, I stopped, satisfied with the distance I'd put between me and the machine. All I could see was the long dark walls around me, stretching far out in front of and behind me and all I could see of the machine was the gleam of its arrows. I let myself relax a bit, bending over, resting my hands on my knees to regain balance.

A few minutes passed before I noticed the soft, whizzing sound behind me. Before I could react, I felt the touch of the cool metal point of a arrow before it tore it's way through my skin. A groan of pain left my lips as I fell to my knees, as my back exploding into a searing rush of pain. Gripping my sides, I sank to the ground, as my body flooded with sensation I had never felt before.

I lay there waiting for the pain to subside but instead I felt what seemed like a ball of fire engulfing my back. The feeling travelled deep into the cut and I felt something that I couldn't possibly explain to the fullest. It was like a knife being dragged across the already made wound but instead of widening it, it pulled the skin together, stretching my broken,bruised skin to cover up the tear. I didn't know what was worse, the pain of the wound or the healing process.

My breath came out in ragged gasps. My eyes were scrunched closed, as I tried to endure the raging pain spreading across my back. The pain took a long time to cease but as soon as it did, I sat up, gingerly rubbing back. The new skin that had grown over the cut felt rough to the touch but at least, the pain had stopped. I struggled slowly to my feet and took a few shaky steps forewords, wanting to put more distance between the machine and myself.

I lost track of how far I walked. All I knew was that I needed to get away. No matter how far I went, my surroundings stayed the same. A long, dark corridor, stretching forewords for what seemed like to me, an eternity.

It wasn't long before a familiar whizzing sound began to vibrate in my ears once more. But this time it wasn't alone. I turned just in time to see what seemed like more than a dozen arrows cutting through the air, heading straight for me. I realised too late that just because I couldn't see them, it didn't mean they didn't see me.