Meanings

(Stark's P.O.V)

Stark awoke to the vibrations of his phone on the dresser. Forcing his eyes open, he first became aware on the sleeping blonde in his arms before pressing a little kiss on the boy's forehead and picking up his phone.

The caller was Fury. Stark had been avoiding his calls for awhile but he decided he might as well just take this one. He was in a pretty good mood after all.

"Yo, Nick"

"I want you to answer this question with complete honesty, Stark. No twisting my words or joking around"

"Oh well, good morning to you too, Sunshine" Stark chuckled, grimly at Nick's tone of voice,

"Okay what is it?"

"Do you know anything about the mutant kid?"

Stark's blood immediately ran cold. He felt Kalek stir in bed next to him, his grip on Stark's waist tightening.

Really hoping he isn't awake.

"Stark?"

"Nope. Don't know what you're talking about" Stark tried to play it off and sound casual but it sounded strained even to him.

"You sure, Tony? Cuz you should know people at the labs think you've been involved in the disappearance" Nick's voice was calculating and slow. Stark could practically feel his every word being analyzed.

"You know telling the truth and joining the investigation could be your stair back up to the top. You're already on thin ice with the authorities after the 'incident'. I'm sure you know that"

Stark froze, completely paralyzed.

Stairs back to the top?

He could feel his heart pounding. He wanted nothing more than to go back to being loved. To being a hero but......

He looked over at Kalek, sleeping sprawled across the bed with the word pure innocence scribbled all over him.

He's just some guy. I don't need to protect him.

Send him back and this nightmare will go away.

Stark stood up and left the room, his phone still on his ear.

"Last chance, Tony. Will you join us in tracking the mutant?" Nick's words echoed in his head as Stark leaned over the rim of his balcony, the wheels in his head turning around and around over and over again.

Everything will go back to normal.

No one will hate you anymore.

You'll be happy.....

But then realization hit him like boulder. His mind went back to the past few days with Kalek. Making him breakfast. Watching his fascination with the tiniest of details. Teaching him the simplest of things and watching him light up with every little fact. His thoughts drifted to Kalek's warmth last night. How right his frame felt pressed up Stark's chest. He'd had his first dreamless, good sleep in months last night with Kalek curled up in his arms. He finally realized and gave in to the feelings he'd been ignoring since he met the boy.

I......am happy. I'm happy just being around him.

"I'll pass on the offer, Nick" His tone was sure and steady. He could feel Nick do the double take on the other line.

"Stark, you aren't thinking clearly-"

"Actually, Nick. My thinking's clearer than it's ever been"