Chapter 2

Cynthia POV

"I'm not saying that you're not smart. I didn't say anything actually. I just can't help getting 100 percents on tests." I told Aiden.

"Really? Is that so Sydney?" He said trying to mock my accent.

"It's Cynthia."

"I was curious. What does Cynthia mean?"

"It has several meanings. It could be the mountain where the Greek Goddess Artemis, the Goddess of the moon, was born. It was called Mount Cynthus. It could also be a type of butterfly. A very beautiful one too."

"Well, I don't understand why your parents gave the name Cynthia, because you're not at all beautiful yourself. As for my opinion, you look pretty ugly."

I didn't care, because I thought the same. I don't care what people say to me, or what people think about me. I think that being ugly makes me unique, and I don't care.

"Why, thank you. I would take that as a compliment."

With that, they left. I personally think that they could have said something better as comeback than to leave, but they're out. I don't mind, actually. Although I wish that I had some other friends, other than Aanya. Of course, I'm not saying that Aanya is bad or anything, I'm just saying that I would like another friend, along with Aanya.

I went to my classes. To be honest, I hate school. I think that school is like a prison, and it's really boring. All the teachers have so many students, that they wouldn't have any time to care about you. I know it's kind of selfish, but I don't have anyone, for support. School is living hell.

My classes went very fast, except for science.

Flashback

"Good morning, students!" Said the teacher. She looked very excited. She was smiling, and she was very happy, with her big grin on her face. "Since we are learning about ecology, we are going to do a partner project. Yay!" No one made a sound. "And I am going to assign partners." The whole class groaned.

Oh. The day starts out fine, and all of a sudden, poof! All the happiness I had left is gone. All I want is to get paired with someone I don't hate.

Let's just hope for the best.

"Sally, with Jack, um. Sam with Kim, hm. Uh, George with Cassy, and Beck with Sasha. Oh. I forgot the other pair. Oh, yes. Aiden and Cynthia." I groaned. She called a few other pairs, but I didn't listen after that.

Why? Why does my life have to be so terrible? Ugh... well, I'd rather do the whole project by myself than to do it with my bully.

"Okay, why not I work on the project while you do nothing? Because everyone knows that we can't work together properly." Aiden said.

"No, why not I work on the project by myself, and you do nothing?"

"No, I will do it."

"No, I will."

"I will!"

"I will!"

"I will!"

This argument slowly got louder, and louder, and even the teacher had to tell us to stop. I used to be a very shy student. Well, turns out I'm not so shy after all. This is going to be a long week.

End of flashback

I came back to my senses when I felt my phone vibrating through my pocket. I look at the Caller ID, to see that says Father. Well, Father hasn't called me in a long time now. I pressed Answer.

"Hello Father?" I asked.

"It's not Father. It's Michael." Said the voice. Of course. Father wouldn't even talk to me. He hates me. "Cyndi, Cyndi!"

"Yeah, I'm sorry, just got off track."

"It's okay. Father says that there are some guests coming to our house. He said that they are very important, and he wants you to meet them."

"Okay, I will come."

"Don't be late. They might be coming any moment."

"Okay, I'm on my way. See you there, Michael."

"Bye, Cyndi! Love you!"

"Love you too. Bye." I ended the call. I smiled.

I looked to my side, to see that Aanya was standing right next to me. She was wiggling her eyebrows. I understood what she meant. I face palmed.

"No, no, you've got the wrong idea."

"Really? Is that so?"

"I was talking to my brother."

"Oh." She blushed with embarrassment. "Sorry."

"No, it's okay."

"You must love your brother very much, right?"

"He's the only person I've got now. My Father doesn't talk to me. We don't get along so well." I found that I was caught off guard. "I have to go now. I'm going to get late. See you later!"

"Bye! See you tomorrow!"

I ran home, and Michael held the door open for me, so that I could come in. I went upstairs into my room, and changed. If Father tells me (indirectly even) that the guests are important, that means that they are pretty important, no matter what.

"Oh welcome to our house!" I heard Father say.

"Cyndi! Cyndi!" I heard Michael call for me.

"Yes Michael." I said.

"Father wants you to come downstairs to meet the guests."

"Okay. Do I look okay?"

"You look wonderful."

"Aww.. thank you." I said, and gave him a kiss on the cheek. I held his hand, and went down the stairs. As I was going down the stairs, I looked up to see someone who I didn't expect at all. My breath hitched, and my eyes locked with his.

Why was he here?