Chapter Five: The Disturbing Dream

Marium left shortly after chatting with Octavian, leaving him with his own thoughts. He couldn't help thinking about Bryce Lawrence, the boy Marium dated. He knew that name, but he couldn't seem to remember much more.

Octavian figured he should tidy up a bit before the rest of the Apollo cabin came back from campfire. He took a shower (There was a bathroom in the cabin), so his hair felt less greasy. He combed it too and brushed his teeth with the stuff Will gave him.

Octavian felt fresh, wearing sweatpants and the blue t-shirt Will had provided, and clean. He studied himself in the mirror, and he couldn't help feeling defeated.

He didn't know why he felt this. Maybe it was because of the scar he had across his face, just below his eyes. Or maybe it was because he had no idea what would happen to him, and he knew that nobody would tell him anything.

He took a shaky breath, and then he cried silently to himself.

Octavian wasn't usually the type of person who would cry, but he felt like he needed to do it. He needed some way to let out his frustration and all his emotion that had been building up since he woke up in the alley that dreadful afternoon. His hands shook as he wiped his tears and walked to his bunk.

He sat there for a moment before grabbing a book from Will's bookshelf. All the books were about Greek mythology, from heroes to monsters, and gods to cities. He hoped something would jog his memory, but all the books were about the Greek heroes and gods, and couldn't recall much.

Octavian soon heard someone at the door and quickly got under the covers and pretended he was sleeping. He didn't want to be bothered by Marium again, or glared at by the other Apollo kids.

He heard many footsteps come in and heard the door creak shut. People bustled about, probably getting ready for bed.

"I call using the bathroom first." A girl's voice said and Octavian heard another door open and shut.

There was silence for a bit other than the sounds of mattresses creaking as people lay down, or the opening and shutting of drawers.

"Is he asleep?" A voice asked and Octavian knew they were talking about him.

"Yeah, I think so." Octavian heard Will say. "He's had a rough first day."

"Does he remember you?" A girl asked.
"No, thankfully." Will huffed.

"Otherwise he would probably get angry and kill me."

"Why is that?" A young boy asked. Octavian guessed that the boy couldn't have been older than ten.

Will chuckled. "Let's just say I kind of stood up to him once. Now you should probably get to bed, Jacob. It's past your bed time."

"Well, my mom isn't here." Jacob said slyly.

"A hero needs his sleep." A voice yawned.

"I'm gonna be a hero!" Jacob exclaimed, and Octavian heard the sound of someone jumping onto a mattress.

So Will has met me before, Octavian thought, slightly angry. He had been lied to enough already.

"Why does Octavian have to stay in our cabin?" A voice complained.

"Because, unfortunately, the augur is related to us." A girl huffed.

"Look, I know none of us like him very much," Will said gently, "We've got to do something with him. The gods sent him for a reason."

"Yeah, and from what I've heard it was Hera who did it." A boy sighed. "And he started the stupid prophecy."

"Stupid prophecy." Someone muttered.