Chapter Nine: The Chance

Octavian couldn't sleep well that night. Some strange memories came back to him, and he twisted and turned, just thinking about them. He had stabbed a girl out of anger, and he remembered her coming back to life before his eyes after some game. He was in a temple, staring at two people. One of them he recognized, the curly haired daughter of Pluto. The other one was definitely male, but his features seemed fuzzy, like he couldn't quite remember who they were. Octavian did remember stealing a panda pillow pet and stabbing it to pieces. He didn't quite remember why he was stabbing stuffed toys.

Octavian eventually drifted to sleep, but he had another terrible dream.
It started out simple enough. Octavian was in a cabin, filled with bunks and the ceiling looked like a stormy sky. A statue stood in between them all, of a man with a beard, and holding a giant lightning bolt, his eyes glaring. Octavian could safely assume that he was in the Zeus/Jupiter cabin.
Only one of the bunks seemed occupied. It was the boy, Jason Grace. His lightning blue eyes were wide, and his blonde hair was messed up. He was frowning, and the scar on his lip seemed to be at an odd angle. He still wore his purple t-shirt, and he stared right at the wall, sitting up in bed like he had just had a bad dream.

The son of Jupiter got out of bed and pulled on a purple SPQR sweatshirt that lay nearby before putting on his sneakers, and grabbing his sword. Then he headed out the door.

Octavian seemed to follow him, but he now could guess that it was like watching a movie. Jason was the only one outside, walking past the dark cabins. His hands were in his pockets, and his golden sword hung by his side, which provided light in the darkness.

He headed over to cabin 10, the Aphrodite one. It looked like a dollhouse, pink and all. Instead of heading to the door, Jason walked to a side window. He glanced inside to one of the beds that was right beside the window. Nobody was there, and the sheets were messed up.

A sudden scream filled the air. It was sort of high pitched and sounded like a girl's.

Jason's eyes widened as he backed up from the window. "Piper." He mumbled and took off running, his hand drawing his sword.

Jason was quick and nimple, his sneakers barely hitting the ground. Octavian saw a monster, a giant half bull half human creature, the Minotaur. Jason's girlfriend, Piper, was in its clutches, its meaty hand around her neck. It looked like Piper had put up a good fight though. There were several stab wounds in its legs and arms, and one of its horns was almost cut clean off. But now Piper was helpless, her bronze dagger shimmering in the night on the cool grass.

Jason held his sword high and charged.

He jumped in the air, letting the winds carry him onto the back of the Minotaur. The monster tried to shake the son of Jupiter off, dropping Piper in the process. Piper grabbed her dagger, but stood back. Jason stabbed his sword into the back on the Minotaur, and it let out one last howl of pain before disappearing right before Jason's eyes. It wasn't like a monster disintegrating at all, the Minotaur just suddenly disappeared. Jason landed on the ground with a loud thump, looking dazed and confused.

"Piper..." He started to say, but the daughter of Aphrodite smirked and disappeared in the wind.

Jason steadily stood up and picked up his sword. He looked around, knowing something was wrong. Octavian could even sense it. The ground shook.

Despite not liking the great Jason Grace, Octavian couldn't help trying to shout, "Fly! Get off the ground!" but his voice wouldn't work and even so, Octavian doubted that Jason would have heard him.

Jason cried out in terror as the ground split open, and he fell into the deep earth, lost, just like Percy and Annabeth.

~~~