Chapter Ten: Falling on Your Enemy

Octavian walked out of the Big House, slamming the door behind him. What would an old centaur know about second chances? He stomped off back to the Apollo cabin to get ready for the day.

He threw on jeans and an old t-shirt. The rest of the cabin bustled about, putting things in order.

"Cabin inspection day," Will explained to Octavian. "Also a free training day."

"Saturdays are the best!" the little son of Apollo, Jacob, exclaimed.

Octavian decided to make sure the stuff he did have was tidy. Soon, two girls came in. The girl was Piper, wearing an orange tank-top and jean shorts. She looked like she had been crying. The other girl was blonde with pigtails, and had braces. Piper held a clipboard and pen.

"Let's see, Apollo cabin‒" Piper said, and then she looked up, staring right at Octavian.

Octavian saw the hatred in her color-changing eyes. She marched up to Octavian, and everyone was silent.

"I don't know what game you're playing at," Piper glared, "But I swear on the River Styx I will get Jason back."

Thunder rumbled in the distance. People looked at each other in shock.

"I didn't do it!" Octavian yelled at Piper, "You even charm spoke me into telling the truth and I said no!" 

"Well, then you must have resisted it!" Piper insisted.

"Maybe if you guys weren't jerks, I would tell you what I know!"

Everyone stared at Octavian, who put his hands over his mouth. He wasn't supposed to say anything. The words had just came tumbling out. Now surely they would suspect him more.

Octavian shoved Piper out of the way and ran out the door. He wasn't going to let them question him right then and there. He needed time to think.

Octavian sat down by the Pegasus stables. The sun was already up, and he watched campers in the distance heading towards the dining pavilion for breakfast.

He wasn't going to run away, that's for sure. Juno specifically had said to go to camp. Chiron wouldn't let him leave. Nor was he going to let himself be bullied by the campers anymore.

"Who cares what you all think!" Octavian shouted suddenly. "I know the truth! You guys are just too blind to see it!"

"Blinded by what, would you say?"

Octavian turned around, seeing the Praetor of New Rome, Reyna standing there. She wore a purple Camp Jupiter shirt, with jeans. Her black hair was in a braid. She wasn't wearing her armor, which made her seem less superior, though the look in her eyes let Octavian know that she was still very much in charge.

It took a minute for Octavian to answer. He thought about all the campers blaming him for everything that had happened.

"Hatred," he said finally. "Blinded by hatred of who I am, so they think I'm automatically the one to blame."

Reyna nodded. "Hate is a terrible thing, though sometimes I don't blame people for having it." Reyna didn't sit down next to Octavian, but merely stood there, watching him like a hawk.

"What did I do that was so bad?" Octavian asked, tears coming to his eyes. "It just feels like everyone hates me, but no one will tell me why. How is that fair?"

Reyna sighed. "It's not, but I see why no one's told you."

"Do you know?"

"Yes."