Chapter 32

There are two things you should know about Jake.

First, he absolutely loved challenges and he loved winning said challenges. Even when we were kids he was the only one in our group who was the over achiever and our adventurer who made us do things that anyone and their mother will have a heart attack thinking about.

And second, he was a sore loser.

''You only won because I let you.'' He grumble beside me as we sing happy birthday to Quinn and three other birthday boys as they cut through their cakes.

The grin plastered on my face got even wider ''Mhmm, sure you did,'' I nod my head mockingly. and brush the invisible dust off Max shoulder who was standing in front of me.

Noticing my grin he got more annoyed if that possible ''I'm gonna get you back for that!'' he snaps finally losing his cool making Mila beside me snort out a small laugh. 

Placing a hand over her mouth, she covers it with a fake cough when Jake sends her a deathly glare.

I have to admit With each passing minute we were having more and more fun with his grumpy grandpa moods.

I watch Quinn Wiggle out of her father's arms and bounce our way and pulls Max with her by hands. My heart warms at the happy smiles plastered on both of their faces as they cut the Quinn's pink birthday cake together.

Turning my head to the side, I raise a brow at Jake ''Till you do, I'm going to the bathroom. all this victory is getting too much for my bladder.'' I emphasize the word 'victory' for further ego damage.

The corners of his lips tug but his glare doesn't waver. Chuckling, I turn around and make my way to the pack house.

''I will save you a piece!'' Mila shouts behind me, her voice holding laughter.

''Make sure its chocolate,'' I say over my shoulder and enter the empty pack house.

After being done with what i'm guessing my third visit in the last one hour, I wash my hands and walk out of the bathroom. As I pass by the staircase my feet stop on their own. 

Biting my bottom lip, I glance at double staircase longingly and sigh. Okay, maybe I lied. Bathroom wasn't the only reason I came here, I sort of wanted to see Marcus too. He has been gone for too long and I was beginning to get worried.

I want to see him but I also don't. I was suppose to be mad at him, I can't just go looking for him and see that stupid, insanely gorgeous, satisfied smirk on his lips as he finds out about the real reason about me wandering around in this mansion but then again I can also come up with a lie and tell him I was looking for a washroom.

A frown settles on my face,  that was the most lamest excuse I have ever came up with but as they say desperate times call for desperate measures.

Exhaling noisily, I place my hand on the railing for support and take the first step then the other but jump in surprise when a loud crash hits my ears.

My eyebrows furrow in alarm, I turn around and hastily follow where the voice was coming from. I enter what I'm assuming is the living room and see a boy around Quinn's age sitting on the marble floor cradling his hand to his chest.

My eyes go wide at the sight of blood and without thinking much I hurry over to him to see broken vase and water all over the floor. The shattered pieces crush under my shoes as I kneel down in front of the crying boy ''Are you okay? Tell me what hurts, buddy?'' I cup his tear stained face and inspect him for any kind of injury. A sigh of relief escape my lips when I find none other than his hand.