Chapter Twenty Three

"It's red to red McKinney, not too hard to remember!" Angus called across the stage. The stadium was empty save for a handful of men getting ready for a show.

"Sorry Young, I had trouble with my colors in school!" McKinney yelled back.

"What's with your relative?" Phil asked Malcolm at the back of the stage. "PMS?"

"He's just a bit fidgety today, got to have everything just right or he has your head."

"You put the small plug in the small hole, and the big plug in the big hole," he told McKinney when he got close enough.

"And the boot in the asshole," he muttered.

"Watch it Mick, I'm not in the mood to play around," Angus glared at him.

"He's about to cut someone's balls off," Phil said. "Sure it's just nerves?"

"You've been sleepin' with 'im Hannah, you know what's up?" Malcolm asked me. I whirled around and gave him a 'what the hell' look.

"Woah there Mal, you shouldn't make jokes like that," said Phil. "That's my job." Malcolm laughed.

"No, I just meant you've spent a lot of time with him and I wondered if you knew of anything."

"No, he was fine yesterday."

"Ooh, what happened yesterday?" Phil asked intrigued.

"Nothing dirty enough for you," I smiled.

"Shame." I felt around my pocket for my toothpick and put it in my mouth. I told myself I would quit, but-eh who cares?

"Oh, so you smoke now too?" Malcolm asked. I took it out.

"Oh, no it's a toothpick."

"Toothpick huh? When did this habit pick up?"

"Back at home, been doing a lot of baking."

"Why haven't you made us anything yet?"

"Didn't say I was good at it."

"Okay then," he laughed. Before the show that night, the boys had to go to another interview. I'd never heard of who these people were, but they seemed nice enough, asked some funny questions. I stayed back, hoping they'd keep the topic relevant.

"So sources say they've seen you gentlemen with a lady friend," the reporter inquired. The band exchanged glances.

"We've had a lot of lady friends," Cliff laughed.

"Yeah, she's a long time friend," Angus answered shyly.

"How long?"

"Long time," Malcolm said.

"Is she here now?" A long silence.

"Yeah, yeah." Cliff glanced at me. The camera turned on its stand to face me and I hid behind the couch I was sitting on. Luckily I acted quick enough and they didn't catch me.

"Pretty camera shy." The camera had turned back to the band. They laughed a little but still looked a smidge uncomfortable. I had nothing to do with their music, why was I questioned about? I really hoped nobody snuck a picture when I wasn't looking. I could see that happening. "She have a name or what?"

"Don't tell anyone, it's Hannah," Brian joked. I appreciated them making light the conversation. Being too serious or reluctant to answer would get people suspicious. Not like they weren't already.

"So back to the album..." Thank goodness. I sat back in my spot on the couch keeping a close eye on that camera. Once in a while Angus would glance over at me but quickly look down or off to the side to cover it up. I don't think anyone noticed.