Chapter Fifty Four

Food cooked on the stove while Cliff and Brian were trying to straighten up the tree. "Malcolm couldn't get a real tree?"

"Or one that fits in the stand?" Brian added. "Fuckin' ornaments falling down my pants."

"It won't fucking stand up," Cliff said.

"Yeah mate, I can see that." Linda came out to check on them.

"If you guys can't get it you can just leave it."

"Okay." The men dropped it and it fell to the floor with a thud. Linda sighed.

"Fantastic." I smiled from the kitchen while I checked on the broccoli. We were getting last minute cooking done before our guests showed up. Then again, we wouldn't be able to eat anything until Malcolm woke up.

Bless his soul, I thought. He's done so much for me and hasn't gotten nearly enough credit. And now he's getting blamed for a crappy tree!

"Hey, when's Angus showin' up?" Cliff asked.

"Lad ain't even up yet," Brian answered. The clock said 9:30. Angus was a late sleeper, yes, but it was Christmas. And he was supposed to visit someone's house. But if Malcolm ain't even up... "I don't think Mal's awake."

"Left us to deal with his tree," Cliff said stepping over the broken mass on the floor.

"Looks better down there anyway," Brian laughed.

"How's the food coming?" Linda asked me.

"Seems good now," I answered. "But it sure stinks."

"Alright, go ahead and turn the oven off, put them over here. Still so much to do," she sighed.

"Glad I'm here then."

"Me too. We all are." No, not all of us. I shouldn't be thinking about that. I shouldn't be caring what she thinks of me. But what if it was true? I did sneak around her, she has every right to hate me. And yet, I just can't hate her as much as I hate myself. "You okay there Hannah?"

"What?"

"Look a little, 'down in the dumps' as you might say."

"No, not really," I dismissed.

"Come on, it's Christmas! It's the happiest day of the year!" She nudged me. "Huh? Don't make me sing for you."

"No thank you I'm fine."

"Then smile!" I smiled. "Aw, not like that, show those teeth!" I gave her a look. "Smile or I sing!"

"Hurry and smile Hannah, don't get her singing!" Brian laughed.

"Oh..." Linda dramatically started. "Have a holly jolly Christmas, it's the best time of the year..." I started laughing at her singing into a wooden spoon. "I don't know if there'll be snow, but have a cup of cheer..." Her voice was loud and off key but that only made it funnier. "Come on, sing along Hannah!"

She handed me a wooden spoon like hers and kept singing. I didn't know the song too well but sang in what I did.

Linda reminded me much of Vee as well. We'd sing just as much as we'd dance when we were alone. She also had a touch of Margaret in her. The almost motherly affection she showed me the other day. Not to say she was a mother to me, but a friend like Margaret was.

"Have a holly jolly Christmas, this year!" we shouted together.

"That was a nice rendition," Brian muttered. Standing next to him was Angus and Ellen. I guess they had rung the doorbell but we didn't hear.

Angus stood staring at me. I froze up. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to give him the biggest hug known to man, but would that be right with Ellen standing right there? After everything that happened I was scared to make a move. He seemed apprehensive as well, or just surprised to see me so cheerful. "Come on now. You two have been apart for a couple days, get to huggin'!" Linda said. I was hesitant at her cue, but I didn't decline.