Chapter Sixty Nine

It sucks being broke. But you know what's worse? Being broke while owing someone money. Without wanting them to find out. Japan is a big country, I thought I could find some form of currency to give back to her. No such luck. Only red plastic cups and broken No. 2 pencils. All imported from China.

April 15th 1997

My search for money was cut short as we boarded another plane to Tailand. After this we'd be back in Europe. Then they'd revisit Columbia, but we'll get to that later. We stayed at a less than impressive hotel in some backwater town. Not too much to look at, not much desire to. Wasn't too safe going out by myself looking for money. Course that didn't stop me.

I rummaged through a trash can for spare change making sure no one was watching. A gum wrapper here, a beer can there, something unspeakable everywhere else. I deposited the substance on a brick building from my hands as a strange man tapped on my shoulder. He wore a business suit and his eye had a scar under it. Oh my. "You. Come with me." Uh, no.

"No thank you." I backed up but he grabbed my arm. Despite my terrified struggling he forced me out of the alley and into a black limo. Maybe, seven other women were there with me. I turned to run out but the door was shut and locked. I can't believe I was just kidnapped!

"No use. Windows do not break," a woman next to me said. I ignored her and kept pounding for someone's attention.

"We go to see..." Another woman started talking in Thai and I couldn't understand her. "Large hall for us. We dance, they give money."

I took mental note of my fellow captives who didn't act like captives at all. They wore short sparkly dresses and heels, makeup, and well done hair. All sitting calmly as ever, one even a little excited. "You dance, no?"

"That depends." They exchanged glances. "I certainly don't dance for other people."

"Are you not Lawan?" a doe eyed girl asked. I shook my head.

"No."

"You are Lawan," another girl insisted. "We came to pick you up, you come with us."

"I have no idea who you're talking about, but I have to get out of here." I pointlessly jiggled the door handle and pounded the glass.

"You must not do that!" a thick girl shouted. "This limo is very costly. You do not break."

"It won't budge anyway," I mumbled slumping in my seat. Angus was right, I do get myself into trouble a lot. What would he want with a troublemaker like me?

"No worry. Soon we will have several money and then we leave," the doe eyed girl said. I found out later her name was Amporn. That was one awkward introduction to tell the truth.
I Amporn. You?

The limo parked in front of a shady, ghetto building. No signs, no people, nothing. The door opened and I shoved my way out. A man grabbed me before I could walk away. "Stay!"

"Good you stay here Lawan," Amporn said. "Get in no trouble." I'm already in trouble! We were taken to a large room with no windows. A long business table stood in the middle and several other men waited for us. The seven girls all sat down while I stood away from everyone.

"Here, you must sit," a man said.

"No."

"Yes, you must sit," said another one.

"No." Amporn turned to me.

"Please sit, make no trouble for you." I sighed while the men kept pointing at the chair. So I sat.

Now, I would just love to explain every last piece of dialogue that was uttered at that meeting, but I couldn't understand a damn word they said. So I'll spare the details. What felt like hours later, we were escorted to a dressing room. Feather boas, fishnets, the works. Some old dude handed me an outfit that would make a risky woman blush. I turned it down.

"This your stuff. Says, 'Lawan'." He pointed to the box that held the clothes. Sure enough. But I look like an American, how can they mistake me for Lawan?

"I am not Lawan! Look, I'm not who you're looking for, please let me go!"

"We give you money," a man said. "You dance for them, we give money. Have lots of it." The man pulled out a thick, black suitcase and removed the lock. Stacks of what looked like money lay inside, crisp and untouched. The girls' eyes widened when they saw it. I don't know much about Thai currency but it looked like a lot. Even after converted to US dollars.

The suitcase was slammed shut and pulled away from us. "Much money here, more money on stage." So, from what I understand, I put on some ridiculous getup, prance around like a monkey, then get paid? No!

"I don't want your money," I crossed my arms.

"But it is much! Maybe a hundred in America," Amporn whispered. My mind reverted back to Georganne's bank account. How I owed her a lot. If I did this, I'd get enough to pay her back. But I shouldn't resort to this! This was not who I was! I wasn't comfortable displaying myself like that. Let the other girls do what they want but not me.

I played with the sticky substance still on my fingers. What is this, old soda? Digging through the trash had done me no good. Only got me here in the first place. I did need that money...

"Is Hannah with you?" Brian asked Angus as he entered the kitchen. Angus took out his cigarette.

"Nah, she went outside for a bit."

"I didn't see her."

"Were your eyes open?"

"Mate, I know my eyes are usually half open, but they're still open. I didn't see her."

"Don't you go worryin' on her none," Malcolm said to Angus coming over. "Not good for your health."

"Why are you talkin' to me, Johnno's the one havin' a spasm," Angus defended.

"I wouldn't say a spasm," Brian chuckled. "Jus' lettin' you know she's not here."

"Probably went back to her room." Malcolm glanced at him.

"Maybe you ought to check Ang." Angus put his cigarette above the moldy ashtray, but thought better of it and simply crushed it in his fingers. He went down to Hannah's room and knocked on the door. After three tries and still no answer, he returned back to Brian's room.

"So?"

"No answer."

"And she's not outside?" Malcolm asked.

"I didn't see her," Brian repeated. "Then again, my eyes are half closed."

"Hell's broke loose again," Malcolm told Angus. Angus leaned back against the wall and closed his eyes. His hands found his face and then settled on his hips.

"What am I gonna fucking do with that girl?"