Chapter Seventy Three

Angus didn't fall back asleep that night. I woke up with him twirling the ends of my hair. Eyes red, movements slow, breathing heavy. Completely out of it. It took a few taps on his nose to get his attention.

The dream he had that night was unspoken. I hinted at it numerous occasions only to receive a change of subject every time. We had the day off so I spent it with him, like we used to. But he didn't seem as attentive as he used to be. A couple words here and there turned to nods which resulted in me getting his attention again.

"I'm thankful for this nice weather we've been having," I noted. "It's warm isn't it?"

Angus swirled the tea in his mug. "Yeah."

"Don't have to wear a coat all the time." He nodded slowly, letting the thought sink in.

"It's good." I eyed him. The sky was grey that morning and started to sprinkle a little. I was testing him and he didn't pass.

"So uh, Angus. I've been meaning to tell you something." No response. The tea still swirled by his hand, the other supporting his head. "I uh, met someone on my recent adventures."

"That's nice."

"Yeah. He is." His hand paused for a second before resuming. "He's terrific. Tall, caring, handsome, he's from Italy you know." I smirked. "And he's such a gentleman too."

Angus' hand turned white as he gripped the mug tighter. "Oh really."

"Yep. And, I wasn't gonna tell anyone just yet, but I wanted you to be the first to know. We went on a couple of dates while I was gone. You know, before I went up on stage. He promised to take me to Italy one day, if I wanted to. Of course I said yes, I mean, who'd say no to Italy? Right?"

"Right..." The mug's pace quickened and the liquid inside splashed over the rim.

"And before I left, he asked me to marry him. I'm engaged! Isn't that great?"

"What?!" Angus yelled as he slammed the mug down. Tea dripped off his blanched fingers.

"Oh, now you're paying attention."

"What the bloody fuckin' hell are you goin' on about, engaged?"

"When I get engaged, you get enraged huh?"

"Answer my damn question." I crossed my arms and leaned back in my chair.

"No Angus. I'm not engaged especially to a man who doesn't exist." He frowned, his lips parted slightly.

"Why would you say something like that?"

"Just making sure you were listening." He sipped his tea. A napkin was placed on his fingers.

"Course I'm listenin', no need for tales like that."

"But ever since that dream last night you've-"

"That was just a dream."

"But-"

"Doesn't mean anything." I narrowed my eyes.

"I'm not convinced."

"Well..." He took another drink. "That's too bad."

"It's okay. I'll get it out of you." I stood up from the table and he grabbed my arm.

"Just so we're clear, this guy doesn't exist right? He's not real?" I smiled at him. "There's no Italian creep runnin' 'round-gropin' you up right?" I laughed.

"Right."

"You're not engaged?"

"Don't worry Angus, you've got nothing to worry about."