4. Tears

Chapter Four: Tears

I must have fallen asleep while crying because the next morning I awoke to find myself in a small bed with Cosette sitting on the other end watching me as sunlight shined in through the window. When she saw my eyes open she gave me a small smile.

"Are you feeling better?" She asked I sat up and leaned against the wall next to her. "You gave Papa quite a scare when you showed up here in tears."

"I'm fine," I lied to her as Enjolras' words echoed in my mind. He was right, I'm only a slut but he still had no right to call me such. He didn't even know me! "I didn't mean to scare you both, I just fought with some people and was shaken up."

"Next time just come to my window so Papa won't have to see," she offered. "So who got you so worked up? I've never seen you cry before."

"It was nothing important," I shook my head as I got off the bed and to my feet. "I should be getting back home, my friend will be wondering where I am."

"You should change, you can borrow one of my dresses!" She got up and pulled me over to her small wardrobe and opened it to reveal different dresses. she quickly pulled out a dark green one that was quite simple and wouldn't look out of place among the slums. She helped me out of my old torn dress and into the new one before running her brush through my hair and letting my blonde waves fall over my shoulders.

"Thank you 'Sette," I hugged her as she led me to the back door. "I'll come and visit you as soon as I can and tell Papa I said the same."

"I love you sister!" She called to me as I ran through the garden and out the gate. As I darted toward the slums I stopped in the square at the large crowd surrounding the carriages of the rich and on one I recognized familiar messy blonde hair and blue eyes.