chapter tweny nine part one

Chapter twenty nine

For the next thirty minutes I spent them wondering in Preston’s car. It was the first thing I saw when I had gotten outside of the house and knowing where he had thrown the keys  last night I went back inside took the keys and drove off.

Thirty minutes passed and my heart was pulling me to go back to him.

It felt like I was going to pass out if I did not go which was unlikely but then the feeling was so strong it scared me.

He had marked me, I remembered as I stopped the car a few trees away from his aunt’s place. My hand slowly traced the place he had marked me and chills spread through my body. At that moment I knew what I had to do.

I turned around the car immediately and drove back. I did not want to look like the coward who left a message for her mate to read about who she was. I would not be that coward.

I would tell him myself. He would not leave me...he couldn’t.

It was funny when I remembered that I was the girl who had not been afraid of anything. Hell, I had usually gotten into fights just for the heck of it yet here I was afraid.

But I was not about to let this new found fear lead my life.

And it would certainly not ruin my life with Preston.

 I parked the car at the same time observing that Nate’s car was not there. Earlier I had been so caught up with my problems that I had noticed if it had been there or if it was gone already.

As I walked into the house, it was as silent as I had left it. Maybe Preston had not woken up and seen that stupid note I had left. I went upstairs. As I was passing through the hallway I saw Nate coming out of one room.

He looked messed up. His hair was all messy and he looked angry enough to want to start a fight with the first person who dared to want one.

He noticed me. “Hi Abby” He said and I was astounded if only for a mere second how awful his voice sounded.

“Hi...” I replied but it rather came out as a question. “Are you okay?” I asked worried about him.

His raked his hair something that reminded me of Preston.

He sighed. “I should be...in about ten minutes from now or maybe never. It all depends how...” he stopped talking as pain clouded his eyes for a second and then looked at me. “I’m fine Abby. Don’t worry.”

He feigned a very good smile that if I had not seen his earlier look then I would have been fooled.

This was probably not the best time to argue with him over what he had concluded in his mind to be the truth.

It was the same moment that Preston chose to come out of the bedroom we had spent the night in. My heart did a triple heart dance and I can assure you that it had nothing to do with joy. It was all...

I turned to look at him. To see the expression he had on his face. Was it of....?

The questions stopped as I became irrationally shocked by his expression.

He was smiling

Smiling

And that was something I did not fathom. Had he not seen the message I had left him like a coward would do?

It became clear as he moved to my side that he had not read the message.

No way.

“are you okay?” he asked Nate after pressing a kiss on my lips which only added my belief that he had not read the stupid note. And which also made me realize that he was only wearing his trouser from last night.