And We'll Live Happily Whatever After[9]

9

Alessio wasn't beside me on our bed when I woke up.

He told me last night that he that he needs to go to the office first thing in the morning and that he'd probably get home late. I wasn't that worried. It's not as if he was cheating on me or something anyway. I know because it's been like that since two weeks ago, when I heard him and my grandfather talking in the library. He must be really busy trying to get the company back.

On the other hand, I couldn't stop thinking about that bastard Brandon St. Clair. It was heartless and devious of him to threaten my grandfather just so I'd marry his son. I've been planning to go out of the house and storm down on them but there's always somebody who's watching my moves. Before it was only Grandpa's security team I had to think about but now even Alessio had put his own bodyguards on me. I just could outrun a dozen of men.

I sat up abruptly which caused my head to spin. Darn this bug that I've already had for weeks. Lately, I've been feeling really, really weird. Sometimes I would go all queasy and throw up. At first I thought it was because of something I ate, but now, I'm not that certain anymore. I should visit a doctor real soon.

Or...

Hey! That could be my excuse to get out of the house. I could tell those annoying bodyguards that I just need to go and have a checkup. They wouldn't be allowed inside the examining room, right? When I'm done and everything, I'd slip away without them noticing it. Then I'll go to the St. Clairs' mansion and demand to Mr. Brandon to give back Grandpa's company. I could do that. It won't be that hard, wouldn't it? Except for the fact that Brayden would be there and that he is the biggest jerk ever. Next to his father, that is.

So I guess, I should apologize first for leaving him on our own wedding day. Then I could explain how I was already betrothed to Alessio ever since I was a baby.

Yes, yes, I think it could work.

After showering and getting dressed, I called Alessio's head of security, Sandro, and told him of my plans (except, of course, of the sneaking off thing). He summoned a limo for me and soon we were driving off to the hospital.

I waited for around half an hour because I didn't have any doctor's appointment and the nurses were still looking for an available one.

A homely looking Dr. Mary Byden saw me and asked me a couple of questions. I was telling her about the bug that's been bothering me for weeks already when she suddenly looked up from the pad where she was taking down notes.

She smiled and said, "Oh, Mrs. Contini, that's the early signs of pregnancy."

My jaw dropped and I felt lightheaded. "Pregnancy? I'm pregnant?" I asked, disbelievingly.

Alessio and I... oh my word! We don't take any protection when we make love. Why haven't I thought of that before? It must be the pregnancy that makes my brain so muddled.

Pregnant... oh, my!

"Yes, you are pregnant," Dr. Byden squeezed my hand. "From what you've told me, you were having morning sickness..."

"Morning sickness," I whispered to myself.

"...And certain scents put you off. Hmm, when was the last time you have your monthly period?" Dr. Byden asked and I shrugged. "Oh well, we'd determine how far you are after we do a couple of tests. You can stay, can't you, Mrs. Contini?"

I just nodded, still dazed.

--

Dr. Byden was gentle and kind. She informed me that I was already seven weeks pregnant and gave me a prescription for prenatal vitamins and all the healthy foods to eat.

"Mrs. Contini, are you alright?" She inquired before I left her office. I nodded, still too stunned to speak. "If I may be so bold as to ask but, don't you want your baby?"

My eyes widened. "Oh, no, Dr. Byden. I... I want this baby! I'm just a little... shocked, that's all. My husband and I-well, we haven't talked about children yet. But I've been told that he's good with kids. In fact, he loves them. But we're newlyweds, you see."

Dr. Byden's gentle nod and smile comforted me a little. "Ah, I see. In any case, I think you're husband's going to be happy when you deliver him the news. He's going to think he's the luckiest man in the world for having a very beautiful wife and a baby on the way."

I blushed and relaxed a little bit. "You think?"

She nodded once more. "Yes." She chuckled. "Don't forget to take those vitamins, okay? And come back two weeks from now for your next checkup."

"Okay. Thank you, Dr. Byden." I said as I exited her office.

--

I didn't bother sneaking off. I walked up to Sandro and informed him that I want to go to the St. Clairs' mansion. He gave me all kinds of reason why couldn't just drive and drop me off there. According to him, it was Alessio's order to keep me as far as possible from any St. Clair alive.

I halted his tirade by holding up a hand. "Sandro, Alessio does not have to know. I'm going to be really quick with my visit. I just need to say a few things to the St. Clairs."

Sandro, for all his hugeness and bulk, considered what I've said for a few minutes. And then he went back to reciting Alessio's specific commands. "It won't work, Mrs. Contini. I'm sorry. I can't take you there."

I puffed and started walking out of the hospital. "Fine with me. I can go there myself anyway." I lifted an arm to hail a cab and Sandro cursed behind me.

"Okay, okay, Mrs. Contini. I'll take you. Just wait here and I'll get the limo." I smiled at him and watched him walk away. I know Sandro thinks it's a really bad idea going to our enemy's mansion but I can't just stay silent forever. I need to do something to help.

I also need to knock some sense into the heads of Brayden and Brandon St. Clair. It's really no use at all for them to destroy Grandpa's company when I'm already married. Brayden couldn't get me anymore. He can't marry me when I'm already married.

And, really, I'm never going to marry a man like him even if he's the last guy on earth.

Alessio is the only one for me; and, my word, but we're having a baby in less than eight months!