And We'll Live Happily Whatever After[12]

(Author's note: Hello, dear readers. I'm sorry I didn't update for almost three weeks. It's because I was on vacation. Anyway, I think this might be the second to the last chapter of this story. I have a new story forming in the back of my head and when I finish this one, I'm going to organize my thoughts and start writing it. Thank you so much for the support and enjoy reading! :D)

12

I saw the color drain away from Alessio's face. "You're pregnant?" He whispered.

I nodded. "I found out today," I explained. "I went to see a doctor before going to-"

He held up a hand to halt my words. "You're pregnant and you let me make love to you?" I opened my mouth to answer him but he continued talking-almost to himself mostly. "Dio! I was like a beast. I was too rough on you. You should've told me sooner you were pregnant!"

"I told you sooner, you didn't pay attention." I said under my breath.

I think he must have heard me because he stopped pacing at stared at me for a long moment. "Sophia," he held out a hand and I walked to him to clasp it on my own. "Do you... do you..."

I've never seen or heard Alessio stutter before and it's so out of place with this confident (sometimes very much arrogant) man. "Do I what?" I asked.

"Do you want the baby?"

I was disconcerted with his question so it took me a couple of blinks to finally concentrate on him again. But I guess he had his own interpretation for my silence because Alessio dropped my hand and moved slightly away.

I whispered his name and tried to go to him but he held up a hand. "No, don't," he said. "Are you planning to have an abortion?"

"What?" I screeched. "Of course not! How can you even suggest that?" I glared at him.

"You don't want my baby, that's because!"

"When did I say I don't want your baby-our baby?"

My question was answered by silence and anguished eyes.

"I won't let you abort the baby." He said quietly. "If you don't want the baby-"

"Oh, stop, Alessio," I said. "If you say another word I'm going to get so mad at you, I won't talk to you ever again." I pressed a finger to his lips before he could interrupt me. "I want the baby, okay? I never said otherwise. How could I not want the baby? I love the father."

He gripped my arms and pulled me to him. "Don't you ever change your mind."

I buried my face on his shoulder and inhaled his scent. "No, I won't."

"And I'm sorry for being a bastard, assuming things like that." I smiled but didn't say anything. I think we understand each other perfectly.

I don't know how long we stayed like that, wrapped in an embrace. It was great. My life is great.

--

After dinner, Alessio and I went back to our bedroom. I slowly removed my clothes with my back turned to him. When I was completely naked, I faced him but to my dismay, he was still fully clothed. Usually, Alessio would be impatient to make love to me. But right now, he was just staring at me and I can't even read his eyes.

"Well..."

"I'm going to take a shower," He said briskly and left me standing in the middle of our bedroom, au naturel and ready. I tried to ignore the hollow feeling that came over me and strode to the connecting dressing room.

But on an impulse, I turned to follow Alessio to the en-suite bathroom. There he was in the shower cubicle, gloriously wet, the epitome of male masculinity. The hollow feeling in my stomach was gone, replaced with butterflies.

He must have heard me come in because he turned his head to my direction. He didn't say anything though, which made me a little bit nervous.

However, I know that if I don't confront him now, I'll never know why he is suddenly withdrawing from me.

"What the hell is going on?" I asked, a little angry and a little panicky.

"Nothing," he answered.

"Are you sure?"

"Si."

Okay, that did it. The one word answers did it. I wrestled with the door of the shower cubicle and made him face me.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I asked again, not a little panicky anymore but a lot angry.

He switched off the shower and edged sideways to get out. "Nothing is wrong with me," He answered while he reached for a towel. He pulled me out and tried to wipe me dry but I slapped his hands away. "Dio, I'm just helping, cara."

"Don't you touch me and don't you call me 'cara,'" I said. "You know what, if you have a problem with me, just say it. You can tell me if you don't want me anymore, I'm not going to cling." However much I want to, I whispered to myself. "It's not as if we promised to stay together forever anyway." With that, I walked out of the bathroom, clutching the towel to my body with shaking hands.

Alessio sooned appeared in the doorway, a towel draped over his lean hips. I wanted to cry so badly. I thought we were closer to each other after what happened this afternoon. But I guess, I thought wrong.

"Don't want you?" His voice was a notch higher. "Dio, Sophia, I ache with wanting you! Every damn day and night." He stalked towards me. "And we promised to be together forever or don't you remember our wedding day?"

"If you want me then why are you acting like this?" I heard how my voice shook with emotion. I know that tears were threatening to spill over my cheeks. "Is it because I'm pregnant?"

He nodded.

A tear rolled down this time. "But I'm not showing yet! Do you look that repulsive already?"

"No," The tone of his voice told me it was stupid of me to even think that.

"T-then why?" I mumbled.

Alessio picked me up and sat on our bed with me on his lap. He brushed my hair away from my face and kissed me lightly. "I'm afraid for the baby."

I wrapped my arms around his neck and sought his lips with mine. "I'm healthy."

"I'm big."

"We already made love this afternoon."

"And I was rough."

"No," I punctuated each word I say with a kiss. "You," Kiss. "Were," Kiss. "Wonderful." Kiss.

I must be getting pretty good at seducing my husband because no more words were exchanged after that. In the morning, we called my doctor-to ease Alessio's worries-to confirm that it's still safe to have marital relations even if I'm pregnant.