And We'll Live Happily Whatever After[11]

11

I held up a hand to Alessio. "I can explain," I said quietly as we settled ourselves in the library.

"And you will," He dragged hand through his luxurious hair. "What the hell were you thinking, Sophia, going to the St. Clairs home like that?"

I've never seen Alessio this angry before. Even when I messed up during our wedding day, he wasn't this tense and livid. "I, uh... I heard you talking to Grandpa two weeks ago in this very room," I started. When he realized what I was referring to, he paled a little bit. "I heard that they've threatened Grandpa's company and bought out the shares when I ran away with you."

My husband spun away from me and cursed under his breath. "You don't have to worry yourself about this matter. I'm taking care of it."

I stood up and walked towards him. "But I want to help, Alessio." I put a gentle hand on his arm. "I can't bear to see you and Grandpa so stressed about it. It's making me feel guilty because honestly, it's all my fault."

He sat down on the chair behind the desk and pulled down with him so that I was on his lap. "No, cara, it's not your fault more than mine. Don't ever think that." He brushed his lips across mine and saw the tears on my eyes when he pulled back. "No, no, don't cry, bella. Everything is going to be okay. We're almost done getting back your grandfather's company."

"Truly?"

Alessio nodded. "That's why I was so enraged when Sandro informed me you went to the St. Clairs. I kept on imagining that ass Brayden putting his hands on you."

I looked away, still remembering Brayden's disgusting touch and wild eyes. I didn't automatically register that Alessio tensed even more.

He caught my face in one hand and made me meet his eyes. "Did he... did that ass do anything to you?" He hissed. I can see that Alessio is angry with me but unlike Brayden, instead of the wild glint in his eyes, there was fear in my husband's.

I told him everything but even though he didn't say anything, I can feel the rage in him. Maybe if I wasn't sitting on his lap, he would've strode to the door already and hunted Brayden down.

"But really, he didn't hurt me. He just... well, embraced and kissed me." I clutched his face. "I didn't kiss him back! Please believe that, Alessio."

He didn't answer.

"Alessio?"

It was a long time before he spoke again. "How did you escape?"

I lowered my eyes and stared at his loosened necktie. "I... I told him that I don't want to leave you."

"And he let you go when you said that?" I didn't need to look up to see the disbelief in his expression.

My word. I suppose I really need to confess now that I'm in love with him. I felt another twist of pain in my chest. Alessio hasn't told me if he loves me. What do I do if he doesn't? A tear rolled down my cheek when I think about living a life with Alessio without his love and a life without Alessio at all.

He must have noticed that I was crying because he soon tilted my head with his free hand and brushed away my tears with his thumbs. "Why are you crying?" He asked gently. "Sophia? You're making me nervous."

Nervous? Alessio is nervous? Now that's a first.

"Don't mind me," I whispered.

"How can I not mind you?" He countered. "You're my wife!"

"Oh, well," I finally decided that I'd rather live without his love than without him at all. "Here's the thing. I told Brayden that I don't want to leave you."