Chapter 26

[ Liam's POV ]

If this damn phone rings one more time, I swear I will throw the phone into the wall.

Please pick up. Please.

More rings. I think I may cry. Although, I totally diserve this. I was a total dick, and now he won't pick up the phone.

Please... Please, just answer..

I know that I don't even diserve to hear his voice again. I know that he moved on. I know that he hates me. I know that. But... But everyone diserves a second chance, right? It's hard to admit you were a complete ass, but I'd admit it anytime for him.

"Ello?" Niall asked slowely, like he was scared or like he didn't want it to be me..

"Niall!" I said excitedly into the speaker.

"What do you want?"

I took in a deep breath.

"Five minutes... That's all... Just five minutes."

"It took two minutes to get here, so you have three left," Niall informed me as he walked straight into my flat without knocking. We all had a habit of doing that, so it didn't faze me.

What did faze me was the fact that he came in the first place. I honestly didn't expect him to. But he did come, which was a good start. He walked straight into the den and sat down on the couch. I mentally decided it would be best if I sat across from him, because something tells me he didn't want to be here. He didn't look at me.. He just staredbdown at his hands.

Three minutes, Liam. Three minutes is all you need.

"Niall... I know I was a jerk."

"I know, too."

"Okay, I diserved that."

"Yeah.. You did."

I just realized that this is the first real conversation we have really had since the arguement. It felt weird, being one-on-one with him. But it felt refreshing and new at the same time.

"I didn't know how hurt you were, Niall. Believe me, I hate it when you're upset," I said, running my fingers through my hair. "I never knew what heartache really felt like until this morning when I saw you and Zayn hold hands."

"Two minutes," Niall warned, still staring at the ground.

"I don't know if things will ever be the same," I said, talking faster. "And I could care less. I just want us to go back to normal. I'm still with Danielle at the moment, but... I just needed you to know that, Niall. Normal is all I want. It sounds like an under-statement, like I could do better. And I know it sounds a bit impossible to ever be normal again... But we could try. And trying is all I ask for."

"Normal?" Niall asked, looking up at me with wide eyes. "Liam, you cheated on me, lied to me, and really pissed me off. I learned not to accept that. I honestly don't know if normal is an option anymore."

"I know, Niall," I mumbled, at a loss for words. "but if we try... It might work. I'm not asking for forgivness, Niall. I'm asking for a second chance."

"Not everyone diserves second chances..."

"And believe me, I don't either. But if you let me, I'll prove it."

Niall looked back down. "Time up."

I let go of my breath and burried my face in my hands. Mission failed. Niall wasn't about to be bothered with the likes of me. I ruined the band, I ruined me, I ruined my relationship, I ruined Niall... I ruined us and everything we ever shared together.

Suddenly, I felt two muscular arms wrap around me. I looked up and saw Niall. He was.. hugging me. Oh, my God. I haven't felt one of his hugs in so long. I missed them so much. I missed his scent, his feel, his everything.

I quickley snapped out of my delusional trance and hugged him back. I could feel the chills on my arms go away as he pulled away from our loose embrace.

"What was that for?" I asked, still not believing that we had made physical contact that didn't involve throwing punches at each other.

He smiled weakly. "You tried to make things right... That's all I wanted."

"Thanks for giving me five... I mean, three minutes."

"Anytime.."

I stood up and faced him, trying not to smile too much. "Best friends?" I held out my hand to him.

Niall examined it carefully, like it was a trap or something. He reached out and shook. "Friends."

Okay, I get it. He doesn't want to jump right back into being best friends. His wall is still up and I know why. He doesn't trust me like he used to. He's just protecting himself. I understand. I really gave him a reason to have his guard up. I totally screwed up big time.

Being just friends with him would kill me inside.. Stab me, shoot me, drown me, burn me alive. Whatever one would feel much better than losing Niall.

So 'friends' is a good start. A start that I really need time to get used to..

But that means that I will fight for our friendship. Fight for everything we had left.

Fight for him.

Fight for Niall...

[ Harry's POV ]

I looked around slightly in the empty house. He must be in the den. I shooved my hands down into my pockets and walked slow, calming myself as I did so. I turned the corner and looked in. There he was..

Liam was curled underneath a blanket on the couch. He was crying.

I cleared my throat to get his attention. I had to do it three more times before he finally noticed I was there. He dried up his face with the blanket and sniffled dryly. Seeing him cry was kind of hard, to be honest...

"Oh... Hey, Harry," he said. His normally-brown eyes were red and puffy.

"Hi.."

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"I just came to say sorry.. I get really defensive over my friends. I shouldn't have hit you..."

He smiled. "It's fine, Harry. Really."

"Are you sure mate?" I asked once more,

Liam nodded as a smile spread across my face. He giggles, as he always does when he sees my cheeky smile and dimples.

I could already tell that One Direction was turning back into something more than a band..

We were turning into friends.

------------------------------

Awh. :'D

Comment? [;

XOX, Maddie<3[: