Chapter One

Chapter One

"This is the last time, I promise" My uncle Julian wraps his arm around my shoulders bringing me closer to him.

This is the 4th time we moved this year.

He lifted the metal bars to open the elevator that opened to a large living area to the right. The far wall was completely glass out looking to the city and pool on a terrace. To the left was an all white and stainless steel kitchen with an island and stools. The flooring was a shiny black color; straight ahead was a work out room of our own. To the left of the workout area was the staircase, everything was very open.

"So you're room is at the top of the stairs and first door on the right" Uncle Julian scratches the back of his head with his lips tucked back. I know he wishes that one day he'd be moving into a place like this with Morgan. Morgan was his mate, unfortunately she died because a hunter had killed her after she attacked one of theirs. I don't know how he bares it, living without her everyday. And I bet living in a penthouse with your niece who is half your age probably isn't something particularly wanted in his mind.

"Ok, I'll just get my stuff from the car" excusing myself and closing the elevator gate, I press the Garage floor button.

Walking towards Uncle Julian's black escalade with his key in hand. Grabbing my duffle bags and suitcase making my way back to the elevator.

"Wait, hold it! Hold it!" A guy with dark hair, tall, broad shoulders; rushes into the elevator before I can finish closing the bars.

"What floor?" He asks me. I can already tell he's not human. By his scent he's wolf. I know he can't figure out what I am since being a hybrid mixes the two scents of wolf and vamp.

"Oh uh I'm at the top so you just hit your number" I say avoiding eye contact.

He leans forward hitting floor number 47..lovely. I roll my eyes knowing he probably throws parties every Saturday night.

"Just move in?" He asks putting his hands in his front jean pockets.

"Hopefully not for long" I sigh not wanting to tell a complete stranger about my life.

"Are you going to school or?" He asks.

"What's your deal?" I snap half meaning to half not.

He raises his hands in defense, "just trying to figure you out. My name is Michael" he introduces himself. "Do you have a name?" Michael continues.

"Kara" I lie. Since I was eleven years old I've been living with my uncle Julian . My parents said it was for my own protection and that was it. My only brother Gideon I was told was in boarding school but eventually I got it out of Julian and he's really with Uncle Julian's twin brother Jace. I over heard them one day on the phone and I knew they were talking about Gideon. Gideon was 14 when I was 11. He was my best friend and now I don't even know if he's ok.

"That's a nice name." I roll my eyes at Michael. "Well this is you" I say as the elevator dings.

"Uhm I'll see you around Kara" he smiles before closing the bars. He's still looking at me until he can't any longer. Hitting the PH button and then the voice button I wait for Julian to buzz me in since I didn't bring my key card.

"Took you long enough" Julian teased since he probably figured I'd use my abilities to make it a faster trip.

"Yeah well someone caught up to me"

"Who? You didn't tell them who you were right?" I can see the panic and possessiveness in his eyes along with the rapid pace of his heartbeat and pulse.