¤13¤

"I can't believe I'm already six months in!" Adele held her stomach.

Simon and Adele looked at their baby's room they had decorated together.

"I can't believe it's going to be a boy!" Simon chuckled.

"Now what color should the walls be? What do you think his favorite color will be?" Adele asked.

"Blue." Simon answered.

"Nah...I was thinking green." Adele giggled.

He rolled his eyes, "Babe, that's your favorite color."

"He might be like his mummy, you never know." She laughed.

"Let me ask him."

Simon bent down on his knees and whispered, "What color do you want?"

He put his ear up to Adele's stomach.

"Uh huh." he nodded and stood up, "He said he wants blue." Simon crossed his arms.

"That's not what I heard." she argued.

"Oh really?" he leaned closer to her and placed his lips on hers.

He released.

"How about turquoise?" He asked placing his hand on her cheek gently.

"Yeah, it's a compromise."

"It's so nice to see you happy again." Simon told Adele as she walked around their son's room.

"Is it?" She smiled.

"It is."

Adele picked up a book that was laying in the crib.

"Baby, uh...do you remember getting this?" Adele asked as Simon walked behind her.

"What kind of title is The Dead for a children's book?" Simon asked.

She handed the book to him, "That freaks me out. Can you throw it away?"

"Yes, of course." Simon walked out of the room.

Adele got this cold feeling. Her body was filled with goosebumps. Her toes curled. She started to rub her arms as her teeth chattered.

"What the hell is the temperature in here?" She went to the thermostat and saw it was at 70°F.

"What the-

Adele got interrupted by the door opening.

"What took you so long Simon?" Adele wondered.

"Oh nothing I was just enjoying the view." Simon shrugged.

"The weirdest thing happened when you were gone..."

"What was it?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

"I just felt freezing cold. So cold that I couldn't bear it."

"Are you getting sick?" Simon wrapped his arms around her.

"I don't know..." Adele trailed off to the crib again because she saw that the blanket was messed up a little. She started to fix it when she noticed something.

"Simon...this can't be happening."

He sighed, "What now?"

Adele picked up something and held it up for him to see.

"That fucking book again! I just threw it away!" he grabbed it, taking another look at it, "What is this anyway?"

He grabbed Adele's hand and they sat on the couch.

"I think we should read it."

Adele placed her hands on her stomach, "No please Simon, I don't think that's a good idea. I have a bad feeling."

Simon threw the book across the room, "Alright, I won't."

She grinned, "Thanks, babe."

"I'll be right back, okay?" she replied with a nod.

Adele laid down onto the couch and as soon as Simon left her sight, she felt sick. Her stomach churned, and she saw the shadow standing in front of her almost instantly. She didn't have any strength to scream or to even speak, so she sat there, staring into its red eyes. It was as if she was frozen, because she wasn't able to move or fight back. She was stuck in a position that she couldn't get out of.

The creature wrapped its hand around her neck and squeezed as hard as it possibly could. She was able to move her legs and kick the couch as she struggled to gain oxygen. It eventually let go, and raised its hand above her body before disappearing out of her sight.

"You okay?"

She didn't reply at all, she just laid there with her hand on her forehead as she began sweating uncontrollably. Her face went pale and her breathing  became heavier.

"What's wrong with you?" Simon asked.

"I don't know." she lied, "Probably just pregnancy sickness."

She started to cough and felt something coming up. It didn't feel like vomit, so she didn't rush to the bathroom. She put her hands over her mouth and continued coughing it out.

"Oh my God." Simon widened his eyes and grabbed his phone, "I need to take you to a hospital right now."

"What seems to be the problem?" A lady answered the phone.

Simon explained frantically, "My girlfriend is six months pregnant and she just coughed up blood. That should be enough for you to hurry up and get over here."

"We'll be there." the call ended.

"They're coming baby. I promise you. They're coming." Simon got her hair out of her face. He rubbed her wet forehead.

She started to close her eyes.

"Stay with me. Don't fall asleep!" Simon shook her.

"I'm...trying..Simon..." She could barely get her words out, let alone breathe.

She closed her eyes again.

"Delly! Wake up!"

No response.

He painfully looked to see Adele's lifeless body. He shook her more. After getting no sign of life from her, he felt her pulse.

"You're still alive baby. Hang on. Please." Simon hugged her body tight.

                                             ¤

"Sir, we don't know what's wrong with her. We can't diagnose anything." The nurse was clueless.

He paced the floor, "This doesn't make any sense. Is the baby okay? Is she okay?"

"As far as we know she's doing fine and so is the baby. This is just confusing. Doctor's should be able to diagnose her condition. But we can't. It's almost like a paranormal type thing." The nurse furrowed her eyebrows.

"Can I see her?"

The nurse answered, "Yes of course."

He walked in to find Adele laying in her hospital bed.

"Simon?" She said weakly.

He caressed her cheek, "Yes, I'm here baby."

"The doctors aren't sure what's going on with you, but they assured me that you're going to be just fine." he passionately kissed her lips before pressing his forehead against hers.

Something happened. There was this feeling she had. This warmth. This love.

"I'm sorry, I lied."

He furrowed his eyebrows and slowly said, "What do you mean, baby?"

She kept that same faint smile on her face, "It came back. It didn't succeed in making me commit suicide, so it found another way. That's what's wrong with me." 

"No, I refuse to believe that."

She whispered, "You can choose to believe what you want, but promise me you'll be okay without me."