12.

You're the best friend that I ever had, I've been with you such a long time, you're my sunshine and I want you to know that my feelings are true, I really love you. Oh you're my best friend - Queen

Morning came far too early as far as Harry was concerned. By the time he'd made it back to his dorm and fallen into bed, he was practically asleep on his feet. His newfound friendship with Draco, exceptional shagging not withstanding, was taking time he could scarcely afford out of his schedule.

He had managed to drag himself off to shower and felt marginally better by the time he'd dressed and made his way down to the Great Hall. Ron and Hermione were already sitting at the table, 'Mione with a book open in front of her, and Ron trying to cram as much food into himself as possible before classes started for the day.

"Morning," Harry mumbled as he pulled a plate of toast closer to himself, took the top piece, and began to butter it.

"Morning to you, mate. What time did you come in?" Ron asked around a mouthful of eggs.

Harry blinked and after a minute shrugged his shoulders. "Dunno, late."

Hermione watched the interaction between them silently, noticing that Harry looked rather tired, but also happier than he had been in some time. She surreptitiously glanced over to the Slytherin table and smirked in satisfaction when she found Malfoy had a similar look of fatigue.

"Look, Harry, I don't know what's going on with you exactly, but I'm your friend, you know? If you need to talk, or just, you know, hang out in silence, I'm here," Ron spoke softly.

Harry looked up at his oldest friend and smiled. "Thanks Ron. I know I've been a prat for a while now, but I'm not ready to talk about it just yet. That alright?"

Ron looked slightly disappointed but nodded his acceptance. "S'alright, Harry. But when you're ready, I'll listen, even if it's about you shagging Malfoy."

Harry choked on his toast and Ron ducked his head as Hermione scowled at him.

"Ronald Weasley!" she huffed, her hands on her hips. "That was sneaky and uncalled for."

"Yeah," Ron smiled somewhat sheepishly, "but did you see the look on his face?"

Harry managed to swallow and cleared his throat as he looked from one friend to the other. "I... You... Malfoy?" he asked.

"Oh, Harry," Hermione reached across the table and squeezed his hand. "We know about the two of you, at least, we're pretty sure that you're seeing him. You are, aren't you?" she asked with trepidation. "Seeing Malfoy, that is?"

"I... well... yes." Harry hung his head and waited for Ron to start yelling at him.

When the silence stretched on, he eventually lifted his head to see if the world had stopped, or if Ron had fallen into shock. What he saw instead was a determination on his best friend's face that reminded him of why Ron was his best mate.

"You're not yelling," Harry pointed out helpfully.

"And I'm not gonna either," Ron replied.

"Why?" Harry asked.

"Dunno really. By all rights, I should be screaming the roof down, but, well, you've been soddin' miserable since Charlie dumped you - and yes, I figured that out - and then after what happened with Wood over the summer..." Ron trailed off, shook his head, and then continued. "If Malfoy makes you happy, I'll learn to live with it. Besides, since his old man went to Azkaban, he hasn't been nearly as much of a git as he used to be."

Hermione smiled and kissed Ron on the cheek. "We love you, Harry," she said softly, "No matter who you date."

Harry gave his friends a watery smile and nodded his head before getting to his feet and silently leaving the Hall. Ron and Hermione watched him go in sad acceptance. Almost seven years and Harry still kept his emotions to himself. Hermione figured that that would probably never change, that being raised the way he was, he probably didn't know how to open up to anyone.