closer

For the next few weeks Carl and I hung out a bit but nothing major happened. I started to think he only kissed me that night because of it feeling right at the moment. He was nice to me and all but it felt more of a friend type of way, which I was still fine with because I knew Carl didn't let many people in. Usually around his other friends and people in general he acted like a ghetto hardass, but when he was around me he was different. He actually smiled and laughed and seemed happy, which made me happy being used to seeing that stone blank look on his face he always had before. Of course part of me hoped he really did have feelings for me, but I'd be happy knowing i positively affected his life with an unbreakable friendship too.

It was a Thursday night, and we had a big test in psych tomorrow. Go figure, since you already know every damn teacher plans their tests on Fridays. It was a diagram test, and I was really good at memorizing shit so I suggested helping Carl study so he could ace the test. He could care less about his grades, but I think spending time with me made it worth it to him.

I arrived at the Gallagher house around 7:00 where Fiona and Liam greeted me happily. She told me Carl was waiting in his room for me, so I headed upstairs.

I could see that his bedroom door was open when I reached the top of the stairs , so I walked down the hall and poked my head in to see if he was in there. To my surprise Carl wasn't in the room, so I turned around to look in the other rooms when my body crashed into someone else's.

Carl.

Not just any Carl. A shirtless carl.

He bumped into me tripping on our feet which had sent us falling to floor of his and Ians bedroom.

"Are you alright?" He asked in between laughs.

"Yeah you just scared me a shit ton, no big deal!" I said sarcastically while starting to laugh too.

We laid there side by side laughing and staring up at the ceiling for another few moments at what just happened. After a while I felt Carl's hand brush against mine. He turned his head towards me giving me a look asking if this was okay. I gave him a small smile causing him to put his hand in mine interlocking our fingers like that night we kissed.

"Why do you do this to me?" He asked after a minute of silence.

"What?" I ask confused.

"I don't know. I'm just different when I'm around you. It's like I want to be good, and all my problems and trouble just disappear." He said while swirling his thumb in circles against my palm.

"Well I want you to be good. Do good. Happy. You know, just because you live here and don't have the most stable home life doesn't mean you have to get into trouble and be like this. It doesn't have to be like this." I said looking him in the eyes sincerely.

"Yeah, I guess. Im just used to feeling like I have nobody and everyone judges me like I don't have a chance, you know? Oh that Gallagher boy, he's gonna end up just like his drunk father and crack whore deadbeat mother." He said sitting up getting angry.

"You know I never judged you right?" I said leaning against his bare side wrapping my arms around his torso comfortingly.

"Really?" He Whispered sounding surpised.

I just nodded and felt his tense muscles relax under my embrace.

"Thanks." He said smiling at me.
"You know before we met, I felt like Fiona was the only person who truly cared about me. But now I feel a little less alone."

"Hey, as long as you have me you'll never be alone. I promise. And I keep my promises."

"Good you better, because I need you. And right now I need you to help me so I don't fail this test tomorrow!" He said standing up picking me up off the floor with him.

We climbed up to his top bunk with the diagrams and I showed him ways to memorize the order without actually knowing what the part was.

Once he felt pretty good about knowing them I decided to quiz him.

"Hold up we gotta make this fun now.." he said right as I was about to start.

"Okay, what do you have in mind?" I asked curiously.

"Every time I get one right I get a kiss!" He said with a smirk on his face.

I was in for a long night.