Back Again

Chapter 15

            Going home – or being home – was so weird. I walked through the door, aching a bit and teary eyed with my boyfriend merely following. My mom greeted me wearily and I hugged her. She whispered a small ‘Welcome back gorgeous’ as we hugged and then told me to go to Mikaela because she was having an emotional breakdown.

            I took my bags from my father and carried them upstairs, chucking them in my room and then going to Mickey’s, Luke beating me to it. As I got closer to Mikaela’s room I could hear little wails and a lot of quiet, strained bickering.

            “I don’t care!” My younger sister growled and I pushed the already open door to her room, open a little further to announce my arrival.

            “Okay, just because you told us means absolutely nothing because we all agreed on one thing and one thing only.” Calum grumbled. What were they arguing about?

            “But I fucking warned you all, okay? You can’t go screaming and crying about it when I specifically told you that there would be consequences.” Ashton voiced and it all clicked. Ah.

            “I figured it’d hurt Abi most! Not me!” My younger sister barked and I stood in her doorway awkwardly.

            “Well maybe you’re just not as emotionally stable as her.”

            “You’re such a fucking dick!” Mikaela screeched at Calum’s reply and the black haired boy put his hands up in defense.

            “Jesus Christ I was just trying to lighten the mood.”

            “I thought it was funny.” Luke shrugged and I let out a meek ‘yeah’ in agreement.

            “Thank you. At least someone gets it.”

            “No! Don’t go thanking them Calum. You just don’t understand! Did Devy mean nothing to you?!” Mikaela snapped, throwing a pillow at said boy’s head and shooting him daggers.

            “Okay now you’ve crossed the line.”

            “You just stood out there Calum, like none of their words got to you! She was basically your fucking girlfriend and you didn’t care!”

            “She wasn’t my fucking girlfriend!”

            “Well she was close to it! Even if she wasn’t she was still one of your best friends and you don’t give two shits about her death!”

            “You think I don’t care?! You think I’m that heartless?!”

            “Yeah! Yeah I fucking do!” My younger sister and Calum were both on their feet now, fronts pressed close and eyes narrowed as they stared each other down. Calum’s hands were balled into tight fists and his neck was strained. Mikaela had angry tears streaming down her face and her jaw was clenched as she waited his response.

            The tension was thick in the air as everyone around the two held their breaths scared for the reaction and shocked that they were even in this position. All you could hear was Mikaela’s quiet whimpering and heavy breathing.

            “Well you thought wrong.” Calum brushed past me, speed walking out of Mik’s room and leaving her speechless. Ashton ran a hand through his hair before growling and chasing after his band mate and I looked to my sister. She rolled her eyes and shooed us all away, shutting her door and turning off her lights.