Chapter Twenty-Four

Word Count: 3440

Warning: Mature content ahead!!!

   There was no grace under the throne of God that was going to save Jasper now. I had already broken his nose, and when I was done here, I was going to break the rest of him too. I was currently back in the infirmary where Maddox was with Bel, but where Jasper was going to be residing in a few minutes.

   Apparently, when Jasper marked me, I was sitting in the passenger seat of the car and he was driving. He said he had done it to save my life, and I'm sure there was a chance he had, but he didn't need to risk my sister's safety on my account. The story was that, when he marked me, he accidentally swerved and crashed into a light pole. Quite conveniently, the pole had smashed directly into Bel who sat in the seat behind Jasper, doing no damage to anyone else.
It was lucky that at that time we were almost home, so they were able to save Bel.

   At the moment, she was laying unconscious in a hospital bed with I don't even know how many IV's and wires and whatnot on her. She looked pathetic, pitiful and like I needed to make Jasper know how she felt. He was standing behind me, watching me watch her. He was pinching his nose closed to keep the blood from pouring out from where I had punched him.

   While still watching my momentarily disabled baby sister, I started to picture that huge brown wolf in my mind. Just as I felt her coming to life, I was turning to lunge at Jasper. In a moment I was on top of his human form, crushing him just under my weight. I snarled at his face, but I just couldn't make myself hurt him. Stupid mate bond. I cursed inwardly, but not so Jasper could hear. If Maddox noticed the whole ordeal past his fixation with Bel, he didn't say anything.

   Now Jasper, who was not interested in acquiring any injuries beyond his broken nose, did not like being crushed by me at all. All of a sudden, I was stumbling away from the now very large body underneath me that had thrown me very off balance for the unexpected current size of it. Jasper stood growling right back at me. He however, perhaps lacked the malice that I had. Maybe that was the reason I didn't back away, or maybe it was just because I was stubborn and proud of it.

   We snarled and growled circles around each other until we were out of the room. Even like this, we were both more intelligent than to have started a brawl in the same small room as a girl already fighting for her life. She was supposed to live though, or at least that's what the doctor said.
Why do you do this, Cadence? Jasper said to me. He didn't sound very upset. Why did you risk my sister's life? I shot back with not nearly the tenderness he had displayed. It was an accident, and to save you, he hissed, slowly starting to sound more upset. Not wanting to wait any longer and knowing I couldn't do too much damage to him in his wolf form, I jumped at him, but he easily dodged. I realized now that fighting someone with Alpha blood would be nothing like fighting someone who wasn't. But didn't I have alpha blood too? Maybe it wasn't such an uneven match...

   No, Cadence, Jasper growled. I was about to pounce again, when something unbelievable donned on me. Surely, he didn't think I'd take this too far did he? I was mad, but not mad enough to do anything too crazy. I was sure I was wrong, but at the same time I knew I was right. Jasper... I trailed off as I shied away from his expression. You know I wouldn't want to kill you? I whined deplorably.

   He seemed to let his guard down ever so slightly. I only wanted to hurt you a little bit- for almost killing Bel. I wouldn't have...done to you what I did to dad. I dropped my head shamefully and then shifted to stand in front of him as my human. He watched me carefully for a minute before shifting back as well. I never made eye contact with him as he looked me over, examining me.

   "You lied when you said you knew I wasn't a monster," I gave a bitter half smile as I shook my head to hold sobs back and kept my eyes trained on the floor between our feet. After just a moment, tears bubbling behind my eyes now, I somehow worked up the courage to look him in the eyes. "Because you and I both know that I am."